Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
7:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Frank is a pile of junk!
Frank is built from the rubbish and broken parts leftover from several 044 and 046 builds.
Cases are damaged but usable, half 10mm, half 12mm.
Tank handle has cracks, holes drilled in it, but houses a WJ carb :)
Covers are miss matched faulty leftovers not good enough for a customer saw.
Chinese pull start as the oem one I have leftover was unusable... but I tried :)
Crank... OEM 12mm 044
Cylinder... 046 D chamber that had been strait fueled, poorly repaired and ported (hacked) with raised intake roof and exhaust roof.
Meteor piston running top ring only.
Ported to "fun saw" specks with fingers, lightened flywheel, timing advance, dual port muffler with front ports.
Blew 205 psi cold and fresh. Heaps!
I finally got Frank running properly this afternoon and he pulls 16000 RPM with a smile 4 stroking.
Now I just need to find him some timber to see if he can go better than he looks.... but I kinda like the rough look.

IMG_4643.JPG

IMG_4649.JPG

IMG_4654.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

Last edited:

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
4:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Frank is a pile of junk!
Frank is built from the rubbish and broken parts leftover from several 044 and 046 builds.
Cases are damaged but usable, half 10mm, half 12mm.
Tank handle has cracks, holes drilled in it, but houses a WJ carb :)
Covers are miss matched faulty leftovers not good enough for a customer saw.
Chinese pull start as the oem one I have leftover was unusable... but I tried :)
Crank... OEM 12mm 044
Cylinder... 046 D chamber that had been strait fueled, poorly repaired and ported (hacked) with raised intake roof and exhaust roof.
Meteor 064 piston, shortened and running top ring only.
Ported to "fun saw" specks with fingers, lightened flywheel, timing advance, dual port muffler with front ports.
Blew 205 psi cold and fresh. Heaps!
I finally got Frank running properly this afternoon and he pulls 16000 RPM with a smile 4 stroking.
Now I just need to find him some timber to see if he can go better than he looks.... but I kinda like the rough look.

View attachment 109666

View attachment 109668

View attachment 109669

View attachment 109667

Are the starter pawls in the aftermarket rewind weak. I've been told they need to be replaced. Was wondering how that would work out with a high compression saw (as this one appears to be).
Many comments about the aftermarket elasto start are not good either. Your build sounds like an interesting project though! :D

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are the starter pawls in the aftermarket rewind weak. I've been told they need to be replaced. Was wondering how that would work out with a high compression saw (as this one appears to be).
Many comments about the aftermarket elasto start are not good either. Your build sounds like an interesting project though! :D
Yes, in my experience. I’ve used two so far. One is still going, the other had the flywheel eat the pawls and damage the rotor. I replaced those items with oem and it’s working fine. Both were 1128 recoils.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
7:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The Huztl/farmerteck ones let go pretty easy but I have found the Hyway ones to be good.
The starter assembly is out of the box Hyway so will see how it holds up