High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Mechanical felling wedge

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The Bottle Jack idea is a great setup for leaners, I carry 2 pieces of 1/2" steel to place on the top and bottom of the jack so it's not absorbed into the tree, whether it's solid or partially decayed. The only time I wouldn't use it is when I can use 1-3 guy ropes or a RAD system. I'm just throwing this out there, before you spend your money on an assumption. Best of Luck!

Sometimes it'd be suitable, but mostly not. As we're starting out I'll use my turfor winch between trees, but the defender won't be ready for 6 months. I appreciate the advice but I've been watching a few videos of it working well, however I do appreciate that a bottle jack would work after seeing and hearing what's been shared. Buuttttt I also slightly want one just because it's remotely linked to CAD ;)

Contact anyone on this site that does any steel lathe work, you can more than likely get 2-4 of them for the same, if not less money! IMO

If someone would make one of these up I'd love to try it on the softer smaller stuff just for fun

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They also make these.
View attachment 56349

But I'd rather use the regular head, I could see the wedge head spitting out.

Regular head gives you straight vertical lift

id rather have a regular head also the duckbills dont seem to be as powerful and they kick out easier

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
usually the ones we get on the job are almost wore out

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used proper jacks, had 3 double barreled jacks in one tree once.
If you think it works for you have at it, but it smells like a GOL accessory to me.
The mechanical wedge isn't somthin I'd waste my time or money on. Have been thinkin bout a nice tree jack though. The portapower has a lot of capacity but not much stroke

jeepsnchainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I like wedges for $12 a pair, some times I have had three stacked on eachother, but it gets it there. It seems like there is enough to think and keep track of in falling. Why complicate things with cranking and jacking? At this point rig it and pull it with help on the RCS.
Just my opinion.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like wedges for $12 a pair, some times I have had three stacked on eachother, but it gets it there. It seems like there is enough to think and keep track of in falling. Why complicate things with cranking and jacking? At this point rig it and pull it with help on the RCS.
Just my opinion.
Stacking wedges don't work for chit, yeah sometimes they go but what happens when you you have a back leaner tipped up and your wedges spit out? Jacking a tree is not complicated

jeepsnchainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stacking wedges don't work for chit, yeah sometimes they go but what happens when you you have a back leaner tipped up and your wedges spit out? Jacking a tree is not complicated
Well, I never had a wedge spit out. Luck? Good judgement? I don't know, we do what we do and pray it goes well without any accidents.

Oh I'm a Machinist and fabricator.

jeepsnchainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Glad that you got somthin to work, I've been meaning to try the rifled wedges that are meant for stacking
I really like them, I think because the are really hard for a wedge and the STIHL wedges are soft... They work good together.
Now if it's a real bad leaner I just use this thing to pull it backwards.image.jpeg