Lol maybe...

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well you're between a rock and a hard place .The options are rechrome,bore and rechrome or bore and sleeve with an iron liner .Just depends on how much money you have .Horstman and Wiseco made overbores .The trick would be finding one with the rings .The 101's were iron liners so cast iron isn't a problem ,not going to be cheap but neither is rechroming .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then another option .Clean the parts up ,oil them,put them in a box and stow them on the shelf .Surf E-bay because although rarely a block shows up every so often .I've chased parts some times for a couple of years for a price I'm willing to pay .So far I'm batting a thousand .

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
2:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well you're between a rock and a hard place .The options are rechrome,bore and rechrome or bore and sleeve with an iron liner .Just depends on how much money you have .Horstman and Wiseco made overbores .The trick would be finding one with the rings .The 101's were iron liners so cast iron isn't a problem ,not going to be cheap but neither is rechroming .
I just missed a 101 about a week ago. At the time I was unaware of the condition of this block. I don't mind the plating cost as long as I end up with a good running saw. Obviously finding a 101 would be great though. Still up in the air so to speak lol.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a snipe hunt but according to my buddy Louie Wiseco made over bore high comp pistons for 101's .In around 5 thou increments maybe as large as 100 thou over .But again a 101 was an iron,cast in place bore .
Poor old Louie is one day older than me and had a stroke about a month ago and is recouping at home .He ,as I said before was number two in the nation during the era of two cycle karting in the early 70's .BTW he still has his port maps but no McCulloch engines or parts.Compression fractures of the spine ended his racing days just like happens to long time Harley hard tail riders .Sucks

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's just conversation but I don't think even with a 60 over standard compression it would do much running a Tilley HS or the Walbro sdc or whatever it is .Then if you used an HR or a large HL you'd need a sloper and most likely more reed area .All that riggen would stick 6-8 inches above the air box .
I've seen vid clips that was supposed to have a 101 but obviously with a chainsaw carb and they didn't run any better than a stock 125 .One the other hand Gerry B talks about a guy he used to cut with who had a souped up 101 that could cut 60 inches of red wood in about that many seconds .He said it would throw a chain farther than he'd ever seen and tear up half the drivers doing so. Scares me .

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My SDC20 101 has less torque than my 125c due to the restrictive carb. Just like a flatback 895 Mac carb will produce a slightly stronger saw than a Tilly equipt. one, again, the larger bore. Now the 101 sounds way better and you can hear the potential in it, but like a restrictor plate car, it is simply governed down, way down. It may as well be a two barrel Rochester carb on a pro stock engine.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sounds like it might be best to go stock with the 125 without hacking the saw up. Maybe in the future gather and do a 101 build. What do you guys think?