jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've spent the day pulling down my dad's old saws and wanted to show you guys some detail.

First up are the differences between the SP and CP blocks. I tried to show the difference in the combustion chambers - it's fairly substantial.
The SP chamber is smaller, has a much wider squish band, and is taller than the CP chamber. The CP chamber has a very narrow squish band
and has more a hemispherical shape. This was about the era when Dodge was coming out with the hemi heads on their V-8s so maybe they
influenced Bob McCulloch. The CP block is on the right.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hot-tanked this block this morning - surprisingly it turned out quite well. After hot-tanking these steel sleeve blocks (like an automotive engine),
you want to get some oil on the bore right away or it'll start rusting immediately. If it's been in service a long time already then it may have congealed
oil in the pores and won't rust too bad.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Piston and rod differences - SP slug and rod on the left with the 9/16" wrist pin and needle rollers in the small end of the rod;
CP slug and rod on the right with 1/2" wrist pin and needle rollers caged in the piston.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ignition mount differences - diagonal mounts on the SP block (left), and horizontal mounts on the CP block (right).

Great write up JJ! Dose that cp block have any number on it? Been curious about that! What muffler did your dad like on the 101?

I am running the 125 crank in my sdc saw, because of mcbob! I have two welded style cranks, one was a cp crank and the other was a 101aa, after seeing so may counter weight issues, I think I will have a buddy fussion Tig the counterweights to have some more insurance!

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ignition mount differences - diagonal mounts on the SP block (left), and horizontal mounts on the CP block (right).

Looks like maybe a early boost port CP block Jacob? Thanks for sharing this stuff on your dads saw. This is pretty much how my build is going to be.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
101b block detail - long, ovalized exhaust port with recessed exhaust gasket, head with tiny combustion chamber, third exhaust mount is in the head.

Just as a note, it looks like a 3/8 reach plug was ran in that head for a while? Some kart head were made for 3/8 reach plug and some 1/2. I have both styles the 1/2 reach plug only comes in a longer body, the karts recoil cove is cut different and has a different boot, you can modify the saw cover if desired image.jpgimage.jpg

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just as a note, it looks like a 3/8 reach plug was ran in that head for a while? Some kart head were made for 3/8 reach plug and some 1/2. I have both styles the 1/2 reach plug only comes in a longer body, the karts recoil cove is cut different and has a different boot, you can modify the saw cover if desired View attachment 201997View attachment 201998
Very interesting stuff there.