MCCULLOCH McCulloch 797 help

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Throwing this out there. I need McCulloch part # 67827. This is the shield that is just behind the sprocket/chain. If anyone has one they are willing to part with let me know. Thanks.

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been doing reading and searches regarding the oiler system on this 797, but I am still in need of help. I don't believe the automatic oiler is working. I pulled the system apart and cleaned everything, put it back together, and I believe it's still not working. I do know the manual oiler is working. My question is how does the auto oiler work? Off of crankcase pressure or something else?

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been doing reading and searches regarding the oiler system on this 797, but I am still in need of help. I don't believe the automatic oiler is working. I pulled the system apart and cleaned everything, put it back together, and I believe it's still not working. I do know the manual oiler is working. My question is how does the auto oiler work? Off of crankcase pressure or something else?
Yes, crankcase pressure. Did you run a diesel oil mix through the Oiler? How far out is your Oiler adjusted?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could have more going on than meets the eye .That thing as well as most reed valves has a thumb operated manual oiler that uses a piston with an o-ring seal .If that thing sticks it won't oil right .You have to remove the oil tank to get to it . That thing is not a spring chicken you know .Try the kerosene /diesel fuel first .

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not run a diesel mix through it. I first took it completely apart and looked at the piston pump and cleaned everything in mineral spirits and blew passages out with an air nozzle. The reason I believe the auto oiler is not working is because after I cleaned it and fired it up the chain and bar were throwing sparks and the chain was quite hot. I shut the saw down than took the bar off. I pressed the manual oiler and seen a surge of oil come out. I put it back together and the same results but when I pressed the manual oiler I could see the oil loading up near the powerhead on the bar. I had the screw quite aways out counterclockwise as Ibelieve Al told me earlier, but I wasn't sure if it was working so I ran it in a bit. Thanks for the insight guys.

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the oiler get its pressure from the top middle hole of the oil tank?

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe that bar hole is plugged or out of alignment, you could bolt in spacers to check the auto Oiler without a bar, and run some diesel through it

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Leave the bar off,you don't need it to see if it oils .Do you have a parts diagram? If not I can scan one for you showing the oiler parts .

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes Al, I do. I will not be able to get to it till next weekend, but will try putting some flat washers in the bar mount to see if its working.

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When taking apart the saw to clean the oil tank I had rubber mounts between the brace and front of the fuel tank/body that the handle mounts to. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I have been looking over IPLs but I can not find this part or part number associated with it.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When taking apart the saw to clean the oil tank I had rubber mounts between the brace and front of the fuel tank/body that the handle mounts to. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I have been looking over IPLs but I can not find this part or part number associated with it.
They are 795 mounts, I believe, it’s fairly common to have on 797’s, the rubber and stainless bracket are different but it is a bolt on. It was common to replace or upgraded to the rubber mount, lots of these saws are mutts, with parts From several saws! Guys would swap out parts to keep saws going and lots of parts interchange

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had no problems with Mac reed valve auto oilers so this is just speculations and could be entirely incorrect. Having already said you have the IPL look at part number 14 which is labeled as a check valve .
It would make sense any single action piston pump would have to have a fully functional check valve to operate correctly .It might also make sense the thumb oiler would have more volume per cycle than the auto oiler per pulsation and thus it works on thumb but fails on auto .---just a stab in the dark----might be might not be ?

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Curious, has anyone here ever dealt with a Larry out of Milwaukie, Oregon for chainsaw parts or bought saws from him (Know if this individual is a member on this forum?). Hope this is okay to ask.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I Don't believe I ever have, Was he a Mac dealer a sometime? Or have Mac parts for sale?

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found an ad and messaged him. I dont believe he was a dealer. Just a collector who said he had saws and parts for sale. I asked about parts, gave a list, and he asked for pictures of my saw that said he didn't think it was a true 797, but that he would trade me a "lighter" saw for mine. I don't want to throw accusations arou d but it seems I am getting a run. Around on parts but maybe I am wrong. I had just been had before and would rather it not happen again.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scott, Stay clear from him. I remember a Larry out that way that was suppose to
have a bunch of mac parts and saws. I got the tip from a buddy. I just called my
buddy and this Larry is the one you a talking to. I emailed him a list of parts I wanted
not needed but could use down the road and never heard from him again. He has
jerked my buddy around on saws as well. And why would he tell you your saw isn't
a 797 but then wants to trade a lighter saw for yours. Yours is a 797 believe me as I
have had my hands in dozens of them and still own over a dozen.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found an ad and messaged him. I dont believe he was a dealer. Just a collector who said he had saws and parts for sale. I asked about parts, gave a list, and he asked for pictures of my saw that said he didn't think it was a true 797, but that he would trade me a "lighter" saw for mine. I don't want to throw accusations arou d but it seems I am getting a run. Around on parts but maybe I am wrong. I had just been had before and would rather it not happen again.
Were did you find the add? I am from Oregon but don’t know him at all, anyone that wants to trade you, is always a red flag!!

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Portland Craigslist. Type in McCulloch I believe and he should have a parts listing and saws for sale.