High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Mcculloch 610- Master It's Alive.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
3:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi Guys! Well, scored this 610 Pro Mac for Free. 60 cc with a 20 inch. It is capable of a 28" and that's what I will be refitting it with eventually, but for now I will sharpen up the stock chain and test it out with the 20". Low hour saw that has been sitting for years. After rebuilding the carb and flushing the filter, line, and tank she fired and ran. Little grumpy at first....and Smokey....HOLY COW! That saw smoked as bad as an over injected cummins! After running it for awhile it cleared up better and I replaced the spark plug. Cleaned the saw up real good and this is how she sits. So far I have around $10 into this one. Couldn't beat that even if it is a Mcculloch. lol
She's a heavy one though considering only 60 cc! Glad it's capable of a 28" bar as it's my op that a heavy saw needs a long bar.
Cool thing is I can have a nice Oregon bar for $50 and the chain for $20 something. Not sure yet as I wanna get it properly tuned.
Which leads to my question....anyone no the top end RPM for this saw? Both L and H are set at 1 turn out and the saw seems pretty happy. By Ear the idle is around 2500 and the top end probably 11500. Saw does 4 stroke a bit as well. Very responsive. I do have a video in the editor that I'll be uploading soon. Anyhow, if anyone has those specs that'd be awesome. Couple pictures. 003.JPG 007.JPG

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The oil pumps on those things get to leaking some times .I've never had any luck repairing them myself .They will run with about any 60 cc saw but the damned things weigh as much as a 100 cc .You can't kill them short of straight gassing .I have no idea what made them so tough but I've seen them run with more damage that would banish most saws to the scrap pile ..

e.fisher26

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just got the same one, I noticed all the same things, it 4 strokes very lightly and is harder to tune by ear. I'm not convinced a 28in is the way I'd go unless yer cutting softwoods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The oil pumps on those things get to leaking some times .I've never had any luck repairing them myself .They will run with about any 60 cc saw but the damned things weigh as much as a 100 cc .You can't kill them short of straight gassing .I have no idea what made them so tough but I've seen them run with more damage that would banish most saws to the scrap pile ..
Ok, that would make sense. I noticed the pump, or at least the manual over ride, is mounted on top of the saw. Do they have seals that leak or something? Heck....if it burns a bit of bar oil it should last quite awhile! :roto2rie:

dougand3

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a clean looking saw. Most all have burnt dark slats at muffler exit. Yours are barley tan. This basic saw has had so many names...Pro Mac 610, 605, 650. Silver Eagle 3420, and to confuse everyone...Eager Beaver 3.4 or 3.7. When I hear E.B, I think little saw.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's a clean looking saw. Most all have burnt dark slats at muffler exit. Yours are barley tan. This basic saw has had so many names...Pro Mac 610, 605, 650. Silver Eagle 3420, and to confuse everyone...Eager Beaver 3.4 or 3.7. When I hear E.B, I think little saw.
So the 610,605,650 are pretty much the same? Might come in handy if parts are ever needed.

dougand3

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the 610,605,650 are pretty much the same?
Yeah, share almost all parts. And so does the Timber Bear...55cc version of the saw.
And these saws will sell for $100-$150, once cleaned up and good runners. I've had 6 of them...fix & clean, buck a while (until get hernia), then sell. Never gotten less than $100.
And Joe is right - McCinderblock. I equate them with picking up your push mower by the deck and using the handle as the bar.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a diaphragm oil pump impulse operated .The check valves or something stick allowing oil to get into the crankcase .Now here's what happens.You blow it through the cylinder and it doesn't burn ,goes right out the exhaust .Bottom exit exhaust with two turns and a screen .Plugs the damn screen carbons up the ex port which chews away at the piston given enough time.

You might try tearing the pump down but as I said I didn't have any luck .You used to find the pumps on flea bay ,sometimes reasonable and some times like they were solid gold .I chanced into a guy who claimed to have 900 for 10 a pop.should have bought 20 but only bought 5, 2 of which I used .I've got three 610's myself so I'll keep those spare pumps .

Now here's a bit of trivia that I got straight from the horses mouth,a Stihl dealer second generation owner of a shop .One time Mac /Homelite dealer .When McCulloch circled the drain in 89-90 there where people who scoured the country side and bought out entire shop inventories at a much discounted prices and are sitting on that stuff .Some of it brings a premium now days .

So it's not a matter of does it exist it's more a matter of finding it for a decent price .It wouldn't make sense to dump say another 150 in 75 dollar Mac 610 and still have a 75 dollar saw .--yea I know,prices vary depending on location .

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have work on dozen of those saws tj. be careful as the blue choke levers like to break real easy

check out figure 7 will be page 9 on adobe. that is you idle says nothing about max rpm ill keep looking for ya

Attachments

• McCulloch_610_Pro_Mac_605_610_645_650_655 eager beaver 3.7.pdf
    655.9 KB · Views: 18

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Old trick on McCulloch oilers .works some times .Dump the oil and run about a half a tank of kerosene,diesel fuel or wd-40 through them even tranny fluid .If there is any crude,wax junk in the system it may soften it up and everything will be just hunky dory .A teeny weeny little piece of sawdust is enough to screw them up .

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Old trick on McCulloch oilers .works some times .Dump the oil and run about a half a tank of kerosene,diesel fuel or wd-40 through them even tranny fluid .If there is any crude,wax junk in the system it may soften it up and everything will be just hunky dory .A teeny weeny little piece of sawdust is enough to screw them up .
This has worked for me on others than just macs also. I personally like diesel

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The worst one I ever had was on a partner p-100 .I had to figure out how the damned thing worked first before I knew how to fix it .I got -er done after much cursing and several Bud Lights .

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My vintage Mac 610, same as yours, handles a 28" bar. I was surprised that it did. I also have a 5700 that will do the same:

This saw still runs well today: