Mastermind Meets The MS660

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hate to say it, but sounds like a visit from the vet is in order. If she hasn't recently calved and diet is the same as it's been, that points to either displaced abdomen, or hardware. The plastic bag thing rings pretty true...

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
5:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know cows can be curious and will check out anything foreign that comes into their field of view. A skunk made it into our pasture one time and kept the cows entertained for about an hour.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From a former dairy farmer's perspective - the leeks (ramps) in spring were the enemy. They were the first green growth, and the cows would seek them out, which tainted the entire tank load of milk. Anything new or different is fun and entertaining to them, and they have to check it out.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hate to say it, but sounds like a visit from the vet is in order. If she hasn't recently calved and diet is the same as it's been, that points to either displaced abdomen, or hardware. The plastic bag thing rings pretty true...

What can a vet do if she has a bag blocking her gut?

I'm aware of the surgery for displaced abdomen, and magnets for hardware.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's in the rumen, they can extract them sometimes. Basically, same surgery as displaced abdomen, but they can go in and pull out foreign objects too. Sometimes. Maybe.

I went to Penn State one time, and they actually had portals with rubber lids sticking out the side of cattle, so they could pull samples out of the rumen to study digestion of different foods.

It's a value call - what's the vet bill vs. the value of a 2nd/3rd calf mother? She's probably young enough to be worth putting a few bucks into, if she's a good mother.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's in the rumen, they can extract them sometimes. Basically, same surgery as displaced abdomen, but they can go in and pull out foreign objects too. Sometimes. Maybe.

I went to Penn State one time, and they actually had portals with rubber lids sticking out the side of cattle, so they could pull samples out of the rumen to study digestion of different foods.

It's a value call - what's the vet bill vs. the value of a 2nd/3rd calf mother? She's probably young enough to be worth putting a few bucks into, if she's a good mother.

She is a good mother, but small. Not one of my top of the line cows.

For now, I'm housing her in the barn with sweet fresh hay, clean cool water, and grain.

Sorta hoping she comes around.