Mastermind Meets The MS500i

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
9:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess what the retail price of an MDG I unit is......
It might be cheaper from across the pond maybe? I bought a bunch of those stihl oil seal sleeves and drivers awhile back from ( if im remembering correctly) the uk. They were significantly cheaper over there even with shipping

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I am and I have three 500's. That is why I am watching this thread so close.

Curious what the fuel level readings are on units from factory and after mods.

You and I are gonna be comparing notes I'd imagine.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The manual says......

After a repair to the chain saw, the control unit may not be adapted to the mechanical and mechatronic components initially. The chain saw may not have optimum power or faults may appear in the running behavior.
Calibration adapts the control unit optimally to the mechanical and mechatronic components of the chain saw.
Calibrating the chain saw is recommended whenever any of the listed components is replaced or is reinstalled :

–Crankcase
–Crankcase gasket
–Oil seals
–Crankshaft
–Piston
–Cylinder gasket
–Cylinder
–Injection module
–Injector housing
–Injection valve
–Sensor
–Generator
–Flywheel
–Clutch
–Control unit – only if the control unit is replaced.
–Injection pump
–Throttle shutter housing
–Air filter – only if the air filter is replaced.

It sounds like the adaptive learning is slow, at least to a major change.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't see why Stihl would take a backward step with the 500, the MTronic saws for all intended purposes pretty must took care of themselves unless there was a component failure.

It's got more to do with not having a choke, or a master control lever than anything else I suppose.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't see why Stihl would take a backward step with the 500, the MTronic saws for all intended purposes pretty must took care of themselves unless there was a component failure.
We don’t really know yet if they won’t, do we? There are a couple guys out west who think that one single saw is running a little bit rich for their tastes. From reading your post you’d think that the future of injected saws was duped. They aren’t even available here yet LOL

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The ECM or PCM in cars are dumb.
If you take an old car with 250k miles on it an reset the ecm/pcm back to like when it was new, you may end up with a driveability problem. The reason is as you are driving your car everything is wearing. The computer slowly makes corrections to compensate.

I think the 500 may be same way. It can make small corrections for thing like weather, fuel, or altitude or a part slowly going bad. Let's say you have a crank seal going bad. It is slowly going to get worse. Then you fix it and the saw may run rich for a few tanks till it relearns. I'm guessing it can only add or take away a small percentage of fuel over a short period of time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ECM or PCM in cars are dumb.
If you take an old car with 250k miles on it an reset the ecm/pcm back to like when it was new, you may end up with a driveability problem. The reason is as you are driving your car everything is wearing. The computer slowly makes corrections to compensate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can't say I agree with that.
They are built to run within certain parameters. When the engine cannot run in those parameters and the control module cannot compensate the variables to get it to run in those parameters, DTC's set.
I can pull power from the ecm in my beater 06 with 200k on it, and it will run no different.
Now if say it had a vacuum leak, fuel trims were maxed out and I then reset it, it may run different. For a bit. But it already had a pre-existing condition.
Fuel trims, injector pulse width, ETC, all need to be within certain windows. If not, there's a driveability issue.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe to stop people ftom tinkering with them?
Best answer. That's exactly what there trying to do make it to where you can't work on them. That means more money for them and making sure that there equipment make EPA standard's but what they forget to realize is one way or another we will crack there egg.o_O

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
1:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Best answer. That's exactly what there trying to do make it to where you can't work on them. That means more money for them and making sure that there equipment make EPA standard's but what they forget to realize is one way or another we will crack there egg.o_O
cops and robbers

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
1:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Cowboys an Injuns, I'm ready let's go!

View attachment 218736

Yeah but it's your turn to be the Indian this time.

I had a younger Faller Supervisor about 10 yrs ago that told me a story about a guy with one eye and he asked what had happened.
He told him... "Me and my brother were playing Cowboys and Indians and it was my turn to be the Indian".

He said he had a good sense of humour about it anyhow.

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah but it's your turn to be the Indian this time.

I had a younger Faller Supervisor about 10 yrs ago that told me a story about a guy with one eye and he asked what had happened.
He told him... "Me and my brother were playing Cowboys and Indians and it was my turn to be the Indian".

He said he had a good sense of humour about it anyhow.

But but but I have the outfit and the trike.