How many taps this year?

• Total voters

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
7:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I called a guy in the middle of last week to let him know his saws were ready. He called back saying he was in the middle of syrup making.

So must be time around north central OH too.

Steve Taylor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My spot is flooded bad. Never seen water up this high before. I hope i can find my buckets after the water goes away.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They’re up to $16. Still worth it!

I have been building up a little bit every year. Next year I think it’s time to expand up to about 50 taps, by adding another run of tubing.
Link for this pump?

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They’re up to $16. Still worth it!

I have been building up a little bit every year. Next year I think it’s time to expand up to about 50 taps, by adding another run of tubing.
3/16" tubing is the way to go now from what I understand.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It's certainly got advantages, but it's not for everyone. It's very sensitive to leaks and blockages. I literally check my mainline to see if any of my laterals has developed a leak several times a day. Most of the time it's very quick and there's no problem, but because I'm using 3/16 and a shurflo pump, it's crucial to keep on top of it. One squirrel chew can kill the vacuum for 200 taps. Using 5/16 and a traditional vacuum/releaser setup you can get away with some leaks here and there and still have good vacuum. One thing about running 3/16 without vacuum is that it's much more difficult to find the leaks. You'll get good vacuum if you've got the drop, but unless you have a gauge at the top, you won't know if it's as good as it should be, and if it isn't, it's much tougher to diagnose.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's certainly got advantages, but it's not for everyone. It's very sensitive to leaks and blockages. I literally check my mainline to see if any of my laterals has developed a leak several times a day. Most of the time it's very quick and there's no problem, but because I'm using 3/16 and a shurflo pump, it's crucial to keep on top of it. One squirrel chew can kill the vacuum for 200 taps. Using 5/16 and a traditional vacuum/releaser setup you can get away with some leaks here and there and still have good vacuum. One thing about running 3/16 without vacuum is that it's much more difficult to find the leaks. You'll get good vacuum if you've got the drop, but unless you have a gauge at the top, you won't know if it's as good as it should be, and if it isn't, it's much tougher to diagnose.
Good to know maybe I'll stick with 5/16. I really like the idea of smaller holes in the trees.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to know maybe I'll stick with 5/16. I really like the idea of smaller holes in the trees.

Don't get me wrong, personally I love the 3/16 and I don't see ever using 5/16 again. I just wanted to point out why someone might not want to use it. I love that you can run it up over trails or down on the ground even. It's very easy to work with.

Also, you can run whatever tap size you want with buckets, 3/16, or 5/16. Might need an adapter if you want to do something goofy, but 5/16 taps on any tubing size is very common. I'm running 5/16 check valve taps with 3/16 barbs on them this year. I did the same last year and made .6 gallons of syrup per tap.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I have about 24 on a run of 3/16 tubing this year and last, and I like it a lot, but Ryan is right - one squirrel chew or leaky tap can kill your vacuum. I stuck a gauge at the top of my run, and you can tell in an instant if you have a leak to be searching for or not, just by how much vacuum there is. Even without a gauge, you can watch the speed of the air bubbles in the tubing, and they can tell you where a leak might be, as they speed up significantly around a leak.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't get me wrong, personally I love the 3/16 and I don't see ever using 5/16 again. I just wanted to point out why someone might not want to use it. I love that you can run it up over trails or down on the ground even. It's very easy to work with.

Also, you can run whatever tap size you want with buckets, 3/16, or 5/16. Might need an adapter if you want to do something goofy, but 5/16 taps on any tubing size is very common. I'm running 5/16 check valve taps with 3/16 barbs on them this year. I did the same last year and made .6 gallons of syrup per tap.

I don't do anything fancy like pull vacuum, RO etc. Just 3 or 4 runs of about 15 taps on a fairly steep side hill and a couple buckets here and there. My trees are smallish and half are soft maple. If I make over 4 gallons of syrup I consider it a good year.

Edit: all on a north facing slope that gets little sun. Lol

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't do anything fancy like pull vacuum, RO etc. Just 3 or 4 runs of about 15 taps on a fairly steep side hill and a couple buckets here and there. My trees are smallish and half are soft maple. If I make over 4 gallons of syrup I consider it a good year.

Edit: all on a north facing slope that gets little sun. Lol

Right on. If you ever want to take it up a small notch, adding a shurflo pump is very cheap and can really boost sap levels. Going from no vacuum to 15" increases your sap production by 150%. Another 5% for every inch after that.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right on. If you ever want to take it up a small notch, adding a shurflo pump is very cheap and can really boost sap levels. Going from no vacuum to 15" increases your sap production by 150%. Another 5% for every inch after that.
Those pumps are reasonable. Never would've guessed that.