High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Manual Wire Feeder for TIG welding thin metal

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I mostly enjoy TIG welding on thin metal like 0.5mm thick steel sheet, for e.g. like power pipes, carburetor attachments and etc. The parent material of this thickness needs small wire, 0.6mm in diameter as far as my welding skill concern but this wire mostly come to us in a shape being reeled on a round plastic reel since they are mostly sold for MIG welders. So that they get curly or curved when released from the reel.

TIG_Wire_Feeder_00.JPG TIG_Wire_Feeder_01.JPG TIG_Wire_Feeder_03.JPG TIG_Wire_Feeder_04.JPG TIG_Wire_Feeder_09.JPG

This causes me trouble when I try to give the part some precision work, so I had to hold the wire as close as possible to the aiming melting pool with the other hand.

This manual wire feeder helps me a lot in this sort of precision works.

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
that black part sure looks like a front sight cover for a winchester rifle
Hello @old guy, thank you for comment. Did not know much about rifle but is it one like this, sitting top at the left end of the barrel?
3_rifles_winchester_model_94_.2535_wcf_flatband_carbine_178402.jpg

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There are a few filler finger feeders available for precut thin rods. I'm sure a person could adapt a whip to feed from a spool like you made.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Welding-Ti...230897&hash=item4b0aebf7db:g:3zEAAOSwcLxYD1yl

CK makes an electric tig feeder.
Nice one.
Who is he, CK? thinking of making a electric one with a motor unit though. Finger feeding is good for low amperage but prefer some more speed in filling when a tad more bigger current, like in a case welding 0.8mm thick steel for butt welding.

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
One candidate is this unit;
MIG Welder Welding Machine Wire Drive Motor Feed Feeder Roller 0.6 12V

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
5:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice one.
Who is he, CK? thinking of making a electric one with a motor unit though. Finger feeding is good for low amperage but prefer some more speed in filling when a tad more bigger current, like in a case welding 0.8mm thick steel for butt welding.

CK is a company that makes a lot of tig torches.

http://www.ckworldwide.com/

TLee

New OPE Member
Local time
4:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Neat idea Guy. Will keep this in mind when do some thin stuff. Have a new TIG and have not had the time to set up. Usually my playing is with somewhat heavier stuff. Am going to try and save(automotive) aluminum engine head, and convert an aluminum boat pontoons into a planing type vessel, hopefully.
If not mistaken, have seen your postings in an electronics forum, where you were redoing a TIG IGBT main board that the capacitors had leaked on the traces. Thanks,

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Neat idea Guy. Will keep this in mind when do some thin stuff. Have a new TIG and have not had the time to set up. Usually my playing is with somewhat heavier stuff. Am going to try and save(automotive) aluminum engine head, and convert an aluminum boat pontoons into a planing type vessel, hopefully.
If not mistaken, have seen your postings in an electronics forum, where you were redoing a TIG IGBT main board that the capacitors had leaked on the traces. Thanks,
Good evening Sir TLee, Yes I am he who posted that to the forum some time ago. Glad to hear from a hobbyist welder like my self. Giving some nice repair to aluminium head is fascinating job too, hope you can do that soon and show us some pics of the results. Look forward to seeing them. Thanks.
chy

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome to OPE

TLee

New OPE Member
Local time
4:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you Gentlemen. Have been around automotive stuff since my teens. Was originally trained as a combination body and paint person, and trained on lead. This was when bondo was just getting popular. So welding was no biggie and expected on metal bodies. However, now everything it a throwaway item, and not much repair, per se, is done.
Used to go back at community college level welding classes to refresh skills. Hit it off with the department head as usually trying to push the machine to do things they were not necessarily designed to do-such as taking a MIG to a full axial flow, or TIG soda cans together. That a toughie for me. Don't recall ever conquering that. My expertise limited to ferrous, aluminum, and stainless. I have seen cast steel welded, but have not done.
The TIG is a(required) water cooled model, and have not built the cooling system. (Read too many projects, and run out of gas too soon.)

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put bends in the wire every few inches when I'm using .035-.045" to get it to feed.

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Lee, I have not yet made a challenge to a Soda can with my TIG, seems a tad hard job to me too.
Argon gas costs a lot, so it's only a fly in the ointment or a thorn in the neck to me, lol. Hope you can give that water cooled unit a good set up.