High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Makita EA3601...the most intriguing saw to date

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So how do you guys think the 3601 would compare to something like a Husqvarna 440? On paper they have the same HP and the Makita is half a pound lighter. The 440 is getting on my nerves, always fixing the oiler and stalls out in the cut too easily. If it breaks again I want to have a replacement in mind haha. I guess it comes down to two questions:
-Do you guys like the general usability of this saw? Does it have a decent useful power band? How is the oiler, I like that it's adjustable
-Would you go with this size or a little bigger for a 2-ish saw plan? A lot more power in the 346xp, especially ported, for about 1.5lbs more.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
4:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s the only way to stop it cuttin wood ha ha :):)

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So how do you guys think the 3601 would compare to something like a Husqvarna 440? On paper they have the same HP and the Makita is half a pound lighter. The 440 is getting on my nerves, always fixing the oiler and stalls out in the cut too easily. If it breaks again I want to have a replacement in mind haha. I guess it comes down to two questions:
-Do you guys like the general usability of this saw? Does it have a decent useful power band? How is the oiler, I like that it's adjustable
-Would you go with this size or a little bigger for a 2-ish saw plan? A lot more power in the 346xp, especially ported, for about 1.5lbs more.

So far , bone stock, here are my thoughts. It's very cold blooded, but once warm runs great. It's very light, and can cut through the occasional 10-12" log just fine. I posted some video earlier in this thread. But the oiler isn't meant for it even on full output.
As far as 2 Saw plan, I could do this Saw and a 70-80 cc Saw, but I'm not sure I can do 2 saws again[emoji33]

LittleLebowski

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So far , bone stock, here are my thoughts. It's very cold blooded, but once warm runs great. It's very light, and can cut through the occasional 10-12" log just fine. I posted some video earlier in this thread. But the oiler isn't meant for it even on full output.
As far as 2 Saw plan, I could do this Saw and a 70-80 cc Saw, but I'm not sure I can do 2 saws again[emoji33]

It’s ok, we understand :)

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
10:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I would love to see how one responds to porting.

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by cold blooded? Just that it takes a while to warm up? That seems like at least an annoyance in a saw that will be used brushing and limbing, make a couple cuts, shut it down for a couple minutes, repeat.

I'm not really on a two saw plan right now, but I'm trying to be. I have an old craftsman 36cc that I used for years (maybe I just need to take it out an remind myself what it used to be like before). It was given to me as a "start it and you can have it" project that involved cleaning the air filter and a can of carb cleaner. Then I have the 440 that I bought because it was so much better than the Craftsman, at the time it was one of the best saws I'd ever used, I'd made a couple cuts with a stock stihl 361 but it mostly scared me haha. Now I have a couple pro saws I'm starting to lose patience for the 440. I have a 359 which is rough but I'm just going to try my hand at some porting on it, just because, and I have johnm's ported 630 super with heated handles, which is truly a great saw but a little dated for year-round use (the damn tensioner between the bar and the spike). So eventually I want to have a 70cc saw and upgrade the 440.

So that would really be the 2+ saw plan. 2 saws + an old one I'm waiting for the right person to give it away to, + one to tinker with/drill on, + a heated one. Makes sense right?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by cold blooded? Just that it takes a while to warm up? That seems like at least an annoyance in a saw that will be used brushing and limbing, make a couple cuts, shut it down for a couple minutes, repeat.

I'm not really on a two saw plan right now, but I'm trying to be. I have an old craftsman 36cc that I used for years (maybe I just need to take it out an remind myself what it used to be like before). It was given to me as a "start it and you can have it" project that involved cleaning the air filter and a can of carb cleaner. Then I have the 440 that I bought because it was so much better than the Craftsman, at the time it was one of the best saws I'd ever used, I'd made a couple cuts with a stock stihl 361 but it mostly scared me haha. Now I have a couple pro saws I'm starting to lose patience for the 440. I have a 359 which is rough but I'm just going to try my hand at some porting on it, just because, and I have johnm's ported 630 super with heated handles, which is truly a great saw but a little dated for year-round use (the damn tensioner between the bar and the spike). So eventually I want to have a 70cc saw and upgrade the 440.

So that would really be the 2+ saw plan. 2 saws + an old one I'm waiting for the right person to give it away to, + one to tinker with/drill on, + a heated one. Makes sense right?

Just on initial startup. Seems fine even after 1/2 hour or so sitting after first warmup.
Plan sounds just fine to me. [emoji41]

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
10:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Was that a prod...?
You will, you will... life has not left me any time for hobbies lately...
Nudge. Lol I hate it when life takes away fun time. Hopefully soon it will let you play.
If a ported 3601 could run like a muffler modded 421? It would be a great little saw. Other then the outboard clutch. Lol