High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Makita 7300 or Echo 620

G

Greenerpastures

If you were to buy a 60 cc saw, would you go for the Echo 620,
or for a slight increase in weight would you opt for the 7300.

I realise the Echo is heavy for its cc 's, but it does seem to have torque
that keeps it pulling instead of slowing down a lot,
and heaver again is the 7300, but I can only get one other 60 cc saw
that is cheaper than the 7300, and am not keen on that one.

I have a 7900, hens my interest in the 7300, parts being mostly the same,
but I like the build of the Echo 620, and read a lot of good things about it,
other than what a certain Mr Saw Troll has to say about it.

Which ever I chose it will only carry an 18" bar, at least for now, and again
my 7900 is the same, tough one.

Thanks, john

David _4

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a stock Dolmar 5105 with a 18" bar (.325), but there is no comparison between it and my sons stock 6100 with an 18" bar. A ported 5105 will run with a 6100 though. Where I live, the 6100 is about $100 more than a 5105.

G

Greenerpastures

Echo 620 is comparable to the 6100. The 7300 is more saw. I have zero experience with the 620. But the 6100 is stronger than a 590/600. That said. I'd go with the 6100. But maybe that's because I'm a dealer. Lol.
Thanks for commenting, the 6100 is a good bit more expensive where I live, and to import one would cost even more, that is why I did not mention the 6100. it is not a lot lighter than the CS 620 either, but yes every little helps in that department.
I really want an MS 362, but can't afford it, so I am giving thought to the Echo and Makita.

I just bought a muffler from a Dolmar 7900, it has no tail sticking out the back like the one on my Makita 7900, may I be so forward and ask, do these old Dolmar 7900 mufflers have a cat or any obsticales inside, it would be nice if it would fit straight onto my Makita, I ask as I see you are into the modification side of things and will certainly have way more knowledge regarding such.
I posted regarding this in another thread.

Thanks, john

G

Greenerpastures

I would look at the 6100 since the 7300 is about the same weight as the 7900. The 6100 is cheaper and lighter than the 7300 and pulls an 18" bar with authority.
Hi and thanks David_4
The 6100 is more expensive locally for me, though of course you are right, it is lighter and is not a bad saw at all, trouble is I am torn between getting any saw or an MS 362, which would tick all my boxes, though they are a good bit more expensive, so I am looking for reasons not to save up for one and jsut get what I can afford,
the cheapest right now being the 7300, the CS 620 I could push to, so am still considering it, and hoping to hear peoples views regardiing these two.
The other thing being, the bar and chain is 3/8 on these two which I like in this power of a saw, where its .325 on the local 6100.

Thanks, john

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
5:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for commenting, the 6100 is a good bit more expensive where I live, and to import one would cost even more, that is why I did not mention the 6100. it is not a lot lighter than the CS 620 either, but yes every little helps in that department.
I really want an MS 362, but can't afford it, so I am giving thought to the Echo and Makita.

I just bought a muffler from a Dolmar 7900, it has no tail sticking out the back like the one on my Makita 7900, may I be so forward and ask, do these old Dolmar 7900 mufflers have a cat or any obsticales inside, it would be nice if it would fit straight onto my Makita, I ask as I see you are into the modification side of things and will certainly have way more knowledge regarding such.
I posted regarding this in another thread.

Thanks, john
The muffler with the slr unit(the thing sticking out the back) is the restricted one. If you bought a true 7900 muffler it's good to go. If it's a 6421 muffler it will be stainless and there's a possiblity it's a cat muffler. But they look totally different. I'll look for your other thread.

G

Greenerpastures

Or one of these.

Nice work on the 5105, sounds great, what mix are you running, 4?:1, I am changing the muffler on my 7900 as it is getting hot, I used too much oil in the mix too, which contributed to the heat a little, even taking out the spark arrestor helped a lot, hoping the Dolmar muffler will put an and to any heat problems, my last saws were old style Husqvarna and jonsered, no EPA rubbish on them, no need to modify them, no heating either, this new stuff needs a very cloese eye kept on it, not much room for error with these emission controlls.

Regards, john

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Greenerpastures

The muffler with the slr unit(the thing sticking out the back) is the restricted one. If you bought a true 7900 muffler it's good to go. If it's a 6421 muffler it will be stainless and there's a possiblity it's a cat muffler. But they look totally different. I'll look for your other thread.
Hi, here is my thread regarding the muffler, http://opeforum.com/threads/will-dolmar-muffler-fit-makita-7900.9040/

And here is a picture of the one I bought, I hope it is a straight swap over, though my saw is under warranty so I can work on this one and keep the original if I need to change it back, don't forsee any problems though unless major blow up reauiring a rebuild,
smaller things I would rather do my self, cheaper and less time consuming than taking saw in and going back again to pick it up.

Thanks for commenting, john
Dolmar_7900_Muffler.jpg

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
5:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a picture of the one I bought, I hope it is a straight swap over, though my saw is under warranty so I can work on this one and keep the original if I need to change it back, don't forsee andy problems though unless major blow up reauiring a rebuild,
smaller things I would rather do my self, cheaper and less time consuming than taking saw in and going back again to pick it up.
View attachment 91656
That's an old school 7900. Your good. If you so choose you can take the exhaust gasket from your slr muffler and transfer the the pattern to that muffler and it will make the exhaust port match the muffler. Open the exhaust outlet on the muffler a little and run the heck out of it. O and retune. Lol.

Out of curiosity how much does a 620 cost? I only ask because in several places. You can buy a saw from the states and have it shipped for about $100.(85 euro) if my calculator worked right. Lol.

Last edited:
G

Greenerpastures

The 7300 and 620 are too dig and heavy if you plan on running nothing but an 18" B&C. I would look at something 50cc, that is unless you're getting a deal too hard to pass up.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Hi andyshine77
Thats one part of the problem, the 7300 is cheaper than the 6100,
I can push for the 620, which just seems better value than the 6100.
But I think may be the money saved will not be lost in other areas.
I have 50cc saws, just need to fill the gap between them and the 78cc one, I have to consider I won't get all I want, and may have to
spend more on what may seem less.

G

Greenerpastures

That's an old school 7900. Your good. If you so choose you can take the exhaust gasket from your slr muffler and transfer the the pattern to that muffler and it will make the exhaust port match the muffler. Open the exhaust outlet on the muffler a little and run the heck out of it. O and retune. Lol.

Out of curiosity how much does a 620 cost? I only ask because in several places. You can buy a saw from the states and have it shipped for about $100.(85 euro) if my calculator worked right. Lol.
Hi, the 620 costs 670 Sterling over here as I have to get it from the UK, a few weeks back I got a new CS 501 locally and am waiting on a quote from the shop I bought from, which is also technically in the UK (Northern Ireland).
I may be able to get an Irish Quote for a Shindaiwa of similar size, but as of yet am avoiding this dealer, because, he went to absolutely no trouble to get me a flocked filter for the Shindaiwa I bought from him in February, even though I bought my Jonsered 2153 there also.

G

Greenerpastures

Hi, thanks for the info on the muffler, I am not sure I understand what you mean regarding transfering the pattern to the muffler I bought, do you mean I sould leave my original gasket on the saw, take the gasket off the Dolmar muffler and then bolt the Dolmar muffler onto my 7900, or do I have to re cut the hole in the Dolmar muffler also so it matches the outlet in the barell, sorry for asking so much.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
6:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't ran either saw in question here, but I have ran echos and dolmars. The dolmar/Makita seems far better built than the echo that I've ran.

G

Greenerpastures

I haven't ran either saw in question here, but I have ran echos and dolmars. The dolmar/Makita seems far better built than the echo that I've ran.
Hi Deets066
I have not set eyes on the Echo 620 either, but at least I can do so
before I buy, I currently can not get my hands on the 6100, or 7300, but I have no issues with the quality I see in my 7900 and no reason to doubt the 6100 or 7300 would be and different.
If I be honest, I like the Echo as it has more torque and runs at
lower revs, I could probably get away with a bigger rim drive rim
on it too, but the weight is beginning to sink in, the 6100 being the lightest makes me think.