stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last week, 2 of the saws brought to me to repair have really challenged me. First one is a 357xp with the oem fubar carb. I couldn't get the saw to idle. Ordered a new carb. I couldn't get that one to rev. Carb #3 should be here later this week.
Saw #2, 038av. This one starts and idles great but will not rev. I rebuilt the Tilly HK carb twice. The valve jet is clear and works like a check valve. I believe that is correct. Impulse line is clear and in good shape, intake boot is good, fuel line and filter in good shape. Pull the trigger and you can hear when the throttle plate opens, but the rpms don't go up. If I raise the needle lever a touch, then it floods. I try adjusting the high needle richer and it smokes more. Lean it out and it will stall while trying to rev it.
Am I missing something here?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW some of the Stihl coils were self advancing .If they stay on retard they won't rev .The only ones I'm positive of was the SEM coils on the 042 and 048 .I own several 038's but am not certain what type coil they have .Just a thought .

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
2:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you need a good, tested, re-built carb for that 357 let me know.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 359 that would lean out way too much with the top cover off, so keep that in mind

Jay Hansen

Foothills Vintage Saws
Local time
11:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last week, 2 of the saws brought to me to repair have really challenged me. First one is a 357xp with the oem fubar carb. I couldn't get the saw to idle. Ordered a new carb. I couldn't get that one to rev. Carb #3 should be here later this week.
Saw #2, 038av. This one starts and idles great but will not rev. I rebuilt the Tilly HK carb twice. The valve jet is clear and works like a check valve. I believe that is correct. Impulse line is clear and in good shape, intake boot is good, fuel line and filter in good shape. Pull the trigger and you can hear when the throttle plate opens, but the rpms don't go up. If I raise the needle lever a touch, then it floods. I try adjusting the high needle richer and it smokes more. Lean it out and it will stall while trying to rev it.
Am I missing something here?
Does the038 have a spark arrestor? If so make sure the screen's not plugged with carbon.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the038 have a spark arrestor? If so make sure the screen's not plugged with carbon.
Sorry I haven't been on for awhile. Screen is clean. As long as I was in there, I did a quick muffler mod for him.