Looking to get into milling

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one easier way...mount my 36" bar. :). But seriously, I'm aware of the center drilling option. Never heard of the second one. Wouldn't that effectively reduce the clamped area to just the rivets? Would that be more likely to slip than using the full clamping pads?
Same clamping area as the 1" square aluminum which only contacts the rivets because they stand up from bar. The bars & tube hold the vertical in place while the square shape prevents rotation.
The 1/4" bolt head is 7/16" across the flats & the lock washer used by me is smaller. It's worked with no problems on a 42" bar powered by a 661c for a whole lot of milling. Gives me a bit over 38" of cut. If I make my own cross bar to hold the vertical depth of cut bit, I'd turn the posts 45° so the clamping bars can be a bit narrower to allow even a bit more width of cut. So many times getting the 50" bar out when the 42 is 1/2" too narrow.
How much tighter may a pair of bolts tighten than a 1/4 20 bolt? Drilling bars varies by manufacture. None are easy.

Last edited:

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same clamping area as the 1" square aluminum which only contacts the rivets because they stand up from bar. The bars & tube hold the vertical in place while the square shape prevents rotation.
The 1/4" bolt head is 7/16" across the flats & the lock washer used by me is smaller. It's worked with no problems on a 42" bar powered by a 661c for a whole lot of milling. Gives me a bit over 38" of cut. If I make my own cross bar to hold the vertical depth of cut bit, I'd turn the posts 45° so the clamping bars can be a bit narrower to allow even a bit more width of cut. So many times getting the 50" bar out when the 42 is 1/2" too narrow.
How much tighter may a pair of bolts tighten than a 1/4 20 bolt? Drilling bars varies by manufacture. None are easy.
what do you run your 661C at 40:1?

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what do you run your 661C at 40:1?
Usually closer to 32:1 corrects to the right amount of gas and the load of longer bars (50" soon on a maple) causes me to use a lot for the cooling factor