Looking for a tie straps and pre-sets!

mikerudder

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a bunch of chains hanging in the shop and would like to make them into usable loops for the bars that I have.

Anyone have some tie straps and pre-sets hanging around? I only need a few of each!

What I need:

Oregon pre-sets and tie straps
3/8 .063

Stihl pre-sets and tie straps:
.404 .063
3/8 .050
.325 .050

This will be my first time breaking and making (bought a breaker and spinner for a good deal)

I only need a couple of each, if anyone here can help out that would be great!
Can PayPal or trade (I have a bunch of chain that I have no use for-some is brand new, some is used)

Thanks!

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
9:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a bunch of chains hanging in the shop and would like to make them into usable loops for the bars that I have.

Anyone have some tie straps and pre-sets hanging around? I only need a few of each!

What I need:

Oregon pre-sets and tie straps
3/8 .063

Stihl pre-sets and tie straps:
.404 .063
3/8 .050
.325 .050

This will be my first time breaking and making (bought a breaker and spinner for a good deal)

I only need a couple of each, if anyone here can help out that would be great!
Can PayPal or trade (I have a bunch of chain that I have no use for-some is brand new, some is used)

Thanks!
They can be pretty spendy.

If you're real careful punching them out of the existing chain, they can be re-used.
Not "officially", but I do it pretty regular..

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Drive link thickness doesn't matter unless you are adding 1 or 2. There is a difference in 3/8 and 3/8 LP so watch for that. You can save the strap but not sure how you can save presets. Shop Ebay, Ive bought Stihl packages pretty cheap. If you have the tools, you may as well have extra parts for later on. Plus you will screw up a few getting the hang of it. Put a dab of grease on the spinner head.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually you can save the straps, cutters, secondary bumper links, and the drive links. I do that on making or resizing new chains. The thing I can't save is the presets or at least breaker breaker too of the spun rivet head off. Saving the cutters allow you to replace broken cutters later.

Be carefully sizing for you new presets and any added drive links as there are different ones for different gauges. Some chains do use drive links that reduced for the bar gauge thus requires a larger gauge presets.

And yes 3/8lp and STD 3/8 have different size drive links with the STD 3/8 being physically larger. Sorry but drive link thickness (gauge) does matter. Use the wrong one and you get binding.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Again drive link thickness only matters if you are adding drive links, otherwise your are just putting a chain back together. It doesnt have anything to do with purchasing straps and presets. Technically some straps do not match others presets. I have ran into that already.
AVB is correct, save all you can for use in the future. A broken tooth would bother me and id replace it if I had one laying around.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carhartt,

Then why do they sell different presets for gauge chains? Here I have .043, .050, .058, 063 joining kits (tie strap and preset). These kits are needed as if you try installing .050 kit on a .058 chain you can and mostly likely over spin the rivets binding the chain. It is worth that even if you use the correct preset you over spin and bind the chain.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see your point. My mistake. I have never ordered presets based on that info. Id say 90 percent of the chain ive worked on was .050 so I never had an issue even if I had the wrong preset. My apology. Oregon is using the same preset from .050 to .058 but different for .063 for 72, 73, and 75 LGX.
Thanks now I have to go home and measure all my presets and rearrange.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is what i reference about some chains having same size DL but it reduce where enters the bar groove. I had got caught a few times repairing chains that had been done this way. I learned to looking the DL after I break the chain before I waste a joining kit and my time.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't done business with them for a long time but Baileys used to sell chain parts for several brands .However regarding Stihl branded chain it's either a dealer or E-bay . There might be others but I have a good selection and have not needed to add to any in years .I suppose a person could Google and see what pops up .

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A spinner and breaker is very empowering, and also teaches you a lot about chains! For example, how many different types/sizes of presets and tie straps there are! And how you can easily spend more on those little fasteners than you did on the spinner / breaker set!

Not an issue if you mostly run one brand/pitch of chain, but sometimes, a 3/8 pitch preset for one brand of chain will not fit a 3/8 chain by another manufacturer. Etc. Sometimes they do. I have some Oregon 1/2" presets that will not fit other Oregon 1/2" chains (different style)! In general, I try to use Oregon presets on Oregon chains, STIHL presets on STIHL chains, etc.

Drive link thickness doesn't matter unless you are adding 1 or 2.
Gauge is funny. Most STIHL drive links are .063 at the top (where the preset goes), and are swaged down at the bottom for .058 and .050 chains. Most .050 and .058 Oregon drive links are .058 at the top; except narrow kerf .050 (which is .050 at the top and bottom); 063 is .063 at the top and bottom. See how it can make you nuts?

You can order Oregon / Carlton presets and tie straps from Bailey's, pretty reasonably, but the shipping will kill you if that is all you need. Best to keep a list and add them onto another order (do they still have flat rate shipping?). Other Internet and eBay chain sellers also carry them, especially if you are satisfied with 'no-brand' parts. STIHL presets from the STIHL dealer are usually cheaper if you order a bag of them (8 to 10 sets - this has varied through the years).

Here is one pretty straight forward video on spinning and breaking (except I don't break out 'a butterfly' - just the specific links, cutters, etc. And I put a tiny dab of grease on each rivet head before spinning, to prevent edge cracking):

Philbert

Last edited:

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am learning. So is straight always .063 and swaged everything but .063? Or does each manufacture make different thickness of straight drive links? Where do you measure true DL thickness on swaged?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am learning. So is straight always .063 and swaged everything but .063? Or does each manufacture make different thickness of straight drive links? Where do you measure true DL thickness on swaged?
It varies by manufacturer, and sometimes even with the chain model, especially when we get into low profile and narrow kerf chains. So, If you only run 1 or 2 kinds of chain, it is not hard to keep the links you need on hand. If you run across an older chain, or an oddball brand, things could be different. I think that most of the current, third party chains (Tri-Link, Archer, etc.) follow the STIHL or Oregon specs, but you never know.

Preset.png Screen shot 2019-02-08 at 11.50.19 AM.png
Presets and tie straps have to fit 4 different dimensions:
1. distance between center points of rivets;
2. smaller, outer diameter of rivets ;
3. larger, inner diameter of rivets ('bearing');
4. width/thickness of 'bearing'.

Sometimes one of these will vary by a few thousandths, and the preset from one manufacturer will not fit the drive links or tie strap from another.
#1 should correspond to chain pitch.
#4 should correspond to chain gauge (measured where the preset is installed).

If #4 is too small, the chain will bind when the rivet heads are properly spun. If it is too large, it will be a sloppy link. Always best to use the correct preset and tie strap for each chain, IMO. Some may be labeled 'fits Oregon 3/8 pitch, .050 and .058 gauge chain', or 'fits STIHL 3/8 .050, .058, and .063 chains'.

Philbert

Last edited:

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Philbert, I tried the grease tip you mention for the spinner I got and it made things worse so I went back the the Magic Tap cutting oil. Destroy three sets of presets during the testing. Now of course I was operating at near freezing temps too.

I just had a need for 3/8lp 44DL loop. Definitely not much demand for these small loops. I can sell a loop this size for nearly as cheap as my sharpening fee.