dmb2613

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
15 minutes to swap a 1122 carby ?
did you spill a beer and have to clean it up while "swapping".... :) ( the hardest part is figuring out how easy the throttle rod slips off... inevitably you over think its removal...it literally slides out of the way if you hold the throttle open)

OBTW...I agree with the choke plate sticking...happens all the time on the 1122/28 saws crappy mounting plates for the air filter jams if its like a C hair off.

leave the air filter off just to confirm functioning Choke/ throttle plate.... then swap the fuel delivery system piece by piece until issue is isolated.

He has to take as carb off another saw, and I said it want take you 15 min. meaning less than lol

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose you could blame it on Greek gasoline but I doubt there is much diff from Ohio gasoline .Now if you used olive oil for mix oil that might throw a wrench in the cog .I'm still trying to figure out what "extra virgin " is .Sounds like an oxymoron to me .:)

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
6:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
If I over fill my hybrid I have trouble starting. Won't let fuel flow just on pulls. I think it's an am vent. Might be worth a shot to dump a little fuel out. Just an idea.
Are you spilling the fuel? If you get sloppy then you will fume out the air box and interfere with oxygen exchange. If I douch in the side cover then I wouldn't waste my time pulling it without poping the air box cap. I had a few loose fitting leaky fuel lines a few times. Same starting issues. Needle drip downs too. It's not necessarily flooding in that case. Just my opinion. Your can all tell me to f—ck off if you want? I may even enjoy it.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose a conversation could be made on oil besides mix oil .I've got olive oil, peanut oil,canola oil ,of course motor oil .Even synthetic maiden oil .

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I too have been thinking not enough choke or weak impulse. Port timing could cause weak impulse or poor starting abilities that maybe Dave was used to? Just a thought.

I have a 2511t someone else ported, runs great, but a pain to start unless you do it just right. It requires a precise amount of choke, not too much or too little, and you have to clear it out and start over if you mess up. It's still my go to saw, though. I'm assuming too big and/or low of an intake port

For trouble shooting mixture on a saw that doesn't run, and I get mixed results with this method, but it usually works ok, I take the plug out and top cover off, aim a propane torch perpendicular to the plug hole maybe 3" away, and pull with different choke and needle settings. If I remember correctly, you want small puffs of blue flame, no flame or larger yellow puffs of fire mean too little or too much fuel. It is how I test that the carb is working after making sure spark works.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know Evan mentioned plug was dry but...my experience with modded 660's that have a good bump in compression & maybe a little timing advance is they are sensitive when starting, you may not here or get a 'pop' when pulling on choke, you make an extra pull & your flooded. One pull on choke then fast idle whether you here it fire or not. They can be a real bear to start and rip the handle right out of ya hand. I opened up the decomp & dialed back the timing on mine, added a D handle to tame it on cold starts. I used to fear starting mine cold. Only saw I've had to concentrate and take a deep breath before starting. But its good now. Hope you sort it out, sounds like a small issue on what should be a fun saw.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
6:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Like Steve said. You have to try open your low and bump your throttle if needed also. I leach out my low pretty serious and bigger saws are more forgiving in start ups except first thing in the morning.
My ported 357 wouldn't prime between tanks easy at all unless I bumped back between an1/8 to a 1/4. Many times I would lift the lever a bit but that was when saws would only run on the prime for a sec. Are you sure you can't prime it from where the filter snaps on????? What do you do with the saws? I know I will probably loose my man card for asking and maybe I live in serious denial but I am always very intrigued. I guess I am a 'one girl man' ..so to speak. A minimalist.
I 'enquire' what I absolutely need.

Last edited:

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw ran good before shipping. Now it doesn't after shipping. So, what could cause a problem during being boxed up and bounced around during shipping? Perhaps choke linkage, or maybe re- installing the filter?

Precisely described. And i m stubborn enough to solve the riddle instead of just swap parts

Thanks for your input

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know my kit 660 takes some weird choke finagling: full choke, than just a hair above full, and mess around with it like that for a while. It takes a bit before it finally fires up. It won't fire with the decomp pushed in unlike most saws, so I can't hold it it, but the compression is high enough it shuts the valve first stroke, so I have to press it once each pull to aid in the first stroke. I know, I'm weak... I mean I don't want to break the starter :D

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Turns out i am a *dipstick and didn't remember this saw has no air filter and no choke. I fired up a bunch of saws that week of shipping that had been sitting. Totally my fault and ill get an air filter and wj69 headed to Evan. I spaced out on having to give the girl a squirt to get it started because that is pretty commonplace in my garage. I apologize.

Last edited: