Long distance diagnosis

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had impulse line issues with the 440 kits, but not the 660 kits. The impulse barb was slightly longer than stock and would intermittently bottom out against the side wall if the impulse line. Drove us nuts, cause all the lines were OK.

Same symptoms as above. Ran fine but wouldn’t start because the pump side of the carb wasn’t getting proper signal.

I bet it’s impulse or carb. I’d swap the impulse line or at least inspect it first.

Thanks for your input Al. I was waiting and I received from members like you their experiences and targeted to the problem answers.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a similar problem with my 440 build off saw. The tank vent would hold pressure if I pumped up the tank with my pressure tester. I was having the same dry plug issue but would run fine once started. Seemed that the vent would not “seal” under light pressure. Aggravating as hell. Swapped out the vent and it cold starts/re-starts fine now.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s amazing how off AM parts can be.

We take for granted, at times, the fit and finish we are given in an all OEM saw.

Are you sure the saw has fuel in it? Lolol.

I “fixed” an 028 oil pump for 3 hours once only to find out it was pumping air just fine (that what the oil tank had in it).

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen the fuel lines get cracked with inside the tank .Impulse lines get folded over or collapsed .Checks get screwed up in the carb .Spacer gasket under the main diaphragm get installed back asswards ,inverted so to speak .Chit happens .All that said and other good suggestions it boils down to one fact .Attempting to trouble shoot anything over the internet is about as easy as threading a needle wearing boxing gloves .

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
E4306086-F3A7-4B53-9DB1-5EFC8B827628.jpeg
As I have said, check to make sure it is going to full choke, if it is choking all the way put a carb on it want take you 15 min.
Enough reading and typing fix the dam saw

Well it’s Sunday over here so beach time
Don’t worry the saw would be ok soon

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 195500

Well it’s Sunday over here so beach time
Don’t worry the saw would be ok soon
Pic of your gal got me thinking......

It was one of Dave's saws......does it even have a choke shaft and butterfly to plug the hole? :ciappa:

:naughty2:

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had impulse line issues with the 440 kits, but not the 660 kits. The impulse barb was slightly longer than stock and would intermittently bottom out against the side wall if the impulse line. Drove us nuts, cause all the lines were OK.

Same symptoms as above. Ran fine but wouldn’t start because the pump side of the carb wasn’t getting proper signal.

I bet it’s impulse or carb. I’d swap the impulse line or at least inspect it first.
Had a Cat D6 hydraulic pump that would cavitate when warmed up , finally found the suction line was separating internally and would totally block the oil flow. A few years later (Same machine) a line to the transmission did the same thing and was a "Bugger" to figure out, I assume the machine had caught fire sometime before my customer got it and the lines never got replaced. My customer had owned it for 10?/15? years and it had always been a trouble free machine.
That impulse barb being a tad long and hard to catch refreshes memories of "them good ole days".
I think Dave intentionally installed the impulse line on "baccertz" for the attention.
He is kind of ornery like that

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As I have said, check to make sure it is going to full choke, if it is choking all the way put a carb on it want take you 15 min.
Enough reading and typing fix the dam saw

15 minutes to swap a 1122 carby ?
did you spill a beer and have to clean it up while "swapping".... :) ( the hardest part is figuring out how easy the throttle rod slips off... inevitably you over think its removal...it literally slides out of the way if you hold the throttle open)

OBTW...I agree with the choke plate sticking...happens all the time on the 1122/28 saws crappy mounting plates for the air filter jams if its like a C hair off.

leave the air filter off just to confirm functioning Choke/ throttle plate.... then swap the fuel delivery system piece by piece until issue is isolated.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a Cat D6 hydraulic pump that would cavitate when warmed up , finally found the suction line was separating internally and would totally block the oil flow.
Lawdy don't get me started on old Cats .You can't wear them out because they are built like battle ships but my word can you get into a pickle keeping them running .I won't get into to it but just say I've been there .