Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
7:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning Gents.

I split about 8 cords of wood a year and was wondering what size splitter would best suit me.

Red Oak is the most plentiful hard wood around these parts. It's also the most annoying to split because of all the cross fibers.

I've been using a buddy's splitter for years and I'm unsure of the tonnage it was rated at.

My firebox can only take 18-20" logs. After taliking to my buddy Dan, I've decided on a 27 ton/6.5 Hp machine. I was gonna go with a 32 ton but was told it's really not necessary for my use.

What's say You?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW, I own a few chainsaws. So when I gotta split knotty wood or crotch areas, I generally do a relief cut through the tough part before it sees the splitter.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No less than a 27ton- if you can swing the 32, go for it.

Get one that does vertical & Horizontal.

Make sure the exhaust is routed so that it blows away from your face when splitting.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use this Portuguese splitter. Its called a Fiskers Manuel X27. Lol

My FIL bought a cheap HD or Lowes 22 ton splitter. Works fine. About 10 years old. About a G note.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, vertical a must.

I'm not sure why they even make a horizontal. Who would do all the extra work?

The horizontal only ones usually push into the wedge, so you can add a 4 way or 6 way knife on it. If you are doing commercial firewood from pole wood delivered from a log truck, it is much faster. But when you get big stuff your stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally, I'd pay attention to cycle times of the ones you're looking at. 8 cords isn't a crazy amount of wood, but it's enough that you'll spend more than a few hours running the splitter. I'd want one with a big enough pump to have a fairly quick cycle time. Nothing worse than waiting on the ram. I think that's one of the benefits of the lower tonnage models, generally speaking, is that the smaller cylinder makes them faster. Some of the 35 ton splitters just have a bigger ram without a bigger pump, so you lose a lot of speed.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The horizontal only ones usually push into the wedge, so you can add a 4 way or 6 way knife on it. If you are doing commercial firewood from pole wood delivered from a log truck, it is much faster. But when you get big stuff your stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a Northstar 35 ton from Northern tool and a 27 ton Tractor Supply special. Both have been good splitter. Like mentioned before, the big difference is the cycle times on most splitters. The one from Northern has a throttle cable that lowers RPMs when the ram is up. I took it off because the engine was constantly reving up and down with the stroke of the cylinder. It was annoying! It is a faster splitter since it has a two stage pump and is powered by a GX390 Honda.

The 27 ton has a vertical shaft engine with the pump on the bottom. It was easier to find and cheaper to replace the engine when it blew. It had a Briggs on it and had who know how many hours on it when it let go.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't have the coin ($1500)for the Brave 2 way with the honda.The cheap little harbor frieght knock off ($650) has handled everything.Seems fast enough.Anything big gets noodled.
$_35.JPG
0748bf1855110cfedf0563938890b244--log-splitter-ton.jpg