Loading wood stove

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
8:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So i had a bunch of longer lenth blocks of wood that wouldnt fit in the wood stove front to back but would sideways and i think it seems to burn hotter that way or at least get up to temp quicker.

I prefer loading from front to back way so logs dont roll out or into the glass.

What have you guys found works best front to back or sideways loading.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I load North South as we call it or NS. Which is with the ends of the logs facing the glass like you do. It a lows it to burn more even and hotter I have found. It burns them like a cigarette. Starting at the ends and burning to the back. The other way the bottom log or middles burn out first and then it can roll to the glass. I'm less worried about it busting, although that is a concern but more that it makes a mess when you open the door and there is a pile of ash waiting to fall out when door is opened.

Stuff that is too long to load NS I just cut down to size or burn during the daytime when I am around and don't need as much heat, I will put side ways or catty corner.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my quadrafire to load NS the wood has to be quite a bit shorter. I can fit 20 inchers left to right. What I try to do is stack a bunch of shorts together in my wood pile and mix them in with the longer ones. I take the shorts put them NS and then longer sticks across them, making a bridge across the coals. Seems to burn well this way as air from the front Nozzle hits the coal bed. This only really matters when i'm getting home and getting it going again.

On my Dad' quadrafire insert its the opposite. Its deeper than wider

Last edited:

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When i put two peices of wood in this morning sideway my temp was running little over 400F. I reloaded with 2 peices about same size N to S and the temp is barly hitting 300F.
I can get a 16 inch inch n to s and 22inch sideways.

I was kinda surprized at the chimney temp differance. I never really payed attention till now lol.

My stove is a drolet classic.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When i put two peices of wood in this morning sideway my temp was running little over 400F. I reloaded with 2 peices about same size N to S and the temp is barly hitting 300F.
I can get a 16 inch inch n to s and 22inch sideways.

I was kinda surprized at the chimney temp differance. I never really payed attention till now lol.

My stove is a drolet classic.

I would think the "airflow" in the chamber would allow for better burns going "INTO" the fuel. N/S as opposed to across the wood E/W... just a thought ? seem s like that's what you are experiencing ?

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think the "airflow" in the chamber would allow for better burns going "INTO" the fuel. N/S as opposed to across the wood E/W... just a thought ? seem s like that's what you are experiencing ?
It seems if only putting 2 peices in it burns better loading sideways. The secondary burn really seems to do more.

Mabe because thers more wood up front where the air inlet is?

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I`ve read this before. Something to do with air flow. I have a wood furnace and have noticed no diff n/s vs e/w. Either way, it EATS wood!! lol

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been suffering through this issue this season. I took down a large dead standing red oak a few years ago. Bucked it up with my big saw w a 24” b/c. Not being used to that bar, I cut most rounds longer than my stove can take. I’ve been feeding 2 splits at a time during the day. From now on, they’ll get cut down before making it to my basement. They definitely burn quicker for me.
FCB416C1-32A3-4A7E-B8C7-2D80CB209893.jpeg

Been marking logs with a tape measure since. I’d love a Mingo Marker.

jr27236

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been suffering through this issue this season. I took down a large dead standing red oak a few years ago. Bucked it up with my big saw w a 24” b/c. Not being used to that bar, I cut most rounds longer than my stove can take. I’ve been feeding 2 splits at a time during the day. From now on, they’ll get cut down before making it to my basement. They definitely burn quicker for me.
View attachment 110105

Been marking logs with a tape measure since. I’d love a Mingo Marker.
@Wolverine this a cool little tool that I had bought that will let you mark out even lengths and then go back and finish the cuts in no time. I bought the 16" fiberglass one as I like 16" max lengths anyhow. Seems this one I'm linking to goes even bigger which is cool also. Some handy guys make these up with threaded rod and a nut and weld to there own magnet.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/141503227040

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wolverine this a cool little tool that I had bought that will let you mark out even lengths and then go back and finish the cuts in no time. I bought the 16" fiberglass one as I like 16" max lengths anyhow. Seems this one I'm linking to goes even bigger which is cool also. Some handy guys make these up with threaded rod and a nut and weld to there own magnet.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/141503227040
That’s pretty cool. I’ve seen them but never considered. Maybe I should at the cheap price. I like to limb & buck swiftly and always though sometime like that would get in the way (drilled and attached) or just fall off (magnetic). Do you have to be real careful w the magnet one?

jr27236

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s pretty cool. I’ve seen them but never considered. Maybe I should at the cheap price. I like to limb & buck swiftly and always though sometime like that would get in the way (drilled and attached) or just fall off (magnetic). Do you have to be real careful w the magnet one?
No. I put it on the left side tip of the bar and tap my marks in the bark with the spinning chain(the measure disc going in the previous mark) then pull it off and go back and now cut those measured marks. Look at videos on you tube it's such a simple useful tool. Now all my splits are even and it helps when stacking also because there are no crazy lengths to deal with.

Last edited:

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So i had a bunch of longer lenth blocks of wood that wouldnt fit in the wood stove front to back but would sideways and i think it seems to burn hotter that way or at least get up to temp quicker.

I prefer loading from front to back way so logs dont roll out or into the glass.

What have you guys found works best front to back or sideways loading.

This might blow your mind but I load my stove with the pieces vertically. That works best for my stove. My stove is taller than it is deep or wide though.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
7:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My stove has a side loading door on the left. I seldom load from the front unless I'm cooking a steak like I did tonight. It handles a 24" log with ease:Federal AirTight1.JPG
Dang. I ran out of firewood that I store to the right of the blower. Time to bring more in.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats cool. Never seen a stove that could be loaded from the front or side befor.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
7:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats cool. Never seen a stove that could be loaded from the front or side before.

There is another that was popular years ago also, the Defiant. It threw out so much heat that Vermont Castings called it a parlor furnace. It also held a 24" log. I heard it might still be available in a different version than the one I used to own. And, it's about three times more expensive than what I paid.

Blackgreyhounds

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
NS vs. EW, it all depends on the stove and firebox. Some are clearly designed to burn one way or the other. Some are closer to square and may work either way. To the OP if EW/sideways is the longer dimension of your firebox and it burns faster and hotter that way, that's probably a good sign that that's how the stove was designed to burn..