Little trouble in big china town

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put my kit together a couple weeks ago, just now finding time to type up a thread about it. I opted for the cross performance top end. From the sound of it it is good I did and I got lucky and got a decent one. I tried to put it together 100% aftermarket. Didn't work out. Chain adjuster is garbage. Felt rough from the get go. Put 32 inch bar on it, went to adjust and it just stripped out. Luckily the one from my 034 super which is already apart fit and worked perfectly.
IMG_4992.JPG IMG_4996.JPG Can't see it in the picture, but the corner of my cylinder base had been hit on something deformed. It rocked back and forth, would not sit flat. It got sanded flat, no way I was going to install it like that. IMG_4999.JPG
My kit had the usual extras. It was missing the top cover ferrules and the winter/summer shutter. So the top cover is on without the ferrules for now and I went ahead and made myself a shutter out of a piece of scrap aluminum sheet that was laying in the corner. IMG_5010.JPG Cylinder looked ok enough beyond the base. I was going to clean up the transfers, but said screw it. Beyond what was already described I opted to throw it together as any ol' yahoo that ordered one was and give it the torture test.

Attachments

• IMG_4975.JPG
    IMG_4975.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 14

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It fired right up and idled away. Carb was set pretty close right out of the box. I was not nice or gentle. It got no heat cycles. It got broke in right noodling some big ol' pignut hickory that was laying in the yard. A fine job it did.IMG_5019.JPG IMG_5014.JPG IMG_5017.JPG IMG_5018.JPG

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It then went down to the tree service lot to noodle up the rest of the same pignut hickory that had been left when I sprained my back. I failed to get a picture, but it was a heaping f250 load. Lucked out after that and the tree service took down another big hickory. This one was dead standing and had been that way for a while. Fortunately I'm the only one that is foolish enough to want the stuff so we just went ahead and dumped it off in the woodpile at home. So the torture test continued. IMG_5074.JPG IMG_5075.JPG IMG_5076.JPG IMG_5078.JPG IMG_5084.JPG

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you get numbers on your cylinder?

No I went for the quick slack jawed yokel build. I wanted to abuse it as it came to see if it could take it. If it survives the initial test I plan on tearing it down to install oem piston pin/bearing/circlips. I will get numbers when that happens.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another problem part is the brake flag. It flexes too much. It bends down to far and gets hooked on the muffler. Avoidable if you're paying attention and set it accordingly. If it lasts long enough I was figuring on oem brake parts eventually. I like the peace of mind that the thing will trip if that kind of inertia is ever induced.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yesterday it went out back and started to cut on the monster oak that got dropped off last year. Haven't got any pictures of the aftermath yet, but I will. My phone was on the charger and I was late to meet a friend at the local watering hole. Also got a couple videos of the hickory. Will post later when I have time, but right now its time to get busy.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yesterday it went out back and started to cut on the monster oak that got dropped off last year. Haven't got any pictures of the aftermath yet, but I will. My phone was on the charger and I was late to meet a friend at the local watering hole. Also got a couple videos of the hickory. Will post later when I have time, but right now its time to get busy.
Looks good are you happy with the power as is.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, nothing wrong with how that saw runs! Two questions:

1) What chain are you running?

2) Why the need to swap out the piston? Looks like it runs pretty darn good as it is.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, nothing wrong with how that saw runs! Two questions:

1) What chain are you running?

2) Why the need to swap out the piston? Looks like it runs pretty darn good as it is.

Stihl full comp full chisel 3/8 chain seven pin that came with kit. Wood is from a dead standing pignut hickory we took down last week. I meant to post that with the video but forgots to. Won't swap the piston. Just the pin, bearing and circlips for oem if it withstands its initial torture test. Something like 6 or 7 tanks through it now so it is looking good so far. I'll still hold off on spending any more money on it till it is good and broken in to make sure there are no fatal bugs lurking.