Little mishap, I got lucky

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today while blocking up some logs, I had an Oh Chit moment.
I was cutting by myself and was attempting to free a 12', 18" diameter white oak log from some gnarly hackberry logs I had piled where I process firewood. I was tired and untangling the mess was the last thing I was going to do before calling it a day. I generally use the FEL on the tractor to move logs but I didn't have the tractor and figured I could get these untangled with a 6' digging bar. Well.....I got them untangled but in the process, my right thumb ended up between the Oak log and one of the hackberry's.
My initial reaction was to try and pull my hand out of the mess. It wasn't happening. The Oak was squarely on top and my thumb wasn't moving. It hurt like hell and I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to get it out.
Then I realized I still had the 6' digging bar in my other hand. I was able to wedge the flat end of the bar between the logs and lift the oak enough to pull my thumb out.
I expected it to be mashed but other than a little swelling and loss of feeling, it's not too bad.
I was tired, ready to quit for the day and only lost my focus for a second..........and that's all it took.
Could have been much worse.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
12:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a pinch about a month or so ago. I mound up rounds in my processing area and when I was splitting, I reached for one and had another come right down on the large knuckle on my left middle finger. Hurt like a mudder fuker. I shook it off and kept working. Pretty sure I fractured something. It still isn’t right, I can’t easily make a fist. Figured the only thing the doc would do is immobilize so I did that for about 2 weeks then kept it wrapped for a while. It’s still looks funky.
Sounds like you got real lucky. You get it checked? I can’t image having restricted use, motorcycling is a passion.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did about the same thing a few years back with a log splitter -- got two fingers of my left hand between the log and the ram. One broken bone on the ring finger and two contusions on the bird finger. They healed, but the contusions made the bird finger a bit crooked. Nails still split on occasion.

Dang, that really hurt. Bar maid almost fainted when she saw it. Black and blue for weeks. X-rays and virtually worthless treatment cost a small fortune.