Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
5:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can do all this but not sharpen a drill bit?!?! Lol

Lol That was me being silly and sarcastic about another thread. Guess I thought at the time everyone would catch that. I can sharpen a drill bit just fine, was trained in Technical School how to do it properly, actually. Maybe I should be more serious. Good catch though. Lol

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Off-topic, but consider me ignorant - how do you sharpen a drill bit? I know how to sharpen a spade bit for wood boring, but have never found a good way to sharpen a typical spiral bit.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Off-topic, but consider me ignorant - how do you sharpen a drill bit? I know how to sharpen a spade bit for wood boring, but have never found a good way to sharpen a typical spiral bit.

Now I gotta do a drill bit sharpening thread....

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would be timely. I just started shopping around for a new drill index the other day, because about half of my bits are dull...

They sell a Drill Doctor and assorted brands of sharpeners, but I use an old school device that mounts on the bench next to the grinder.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not that hard by hand without aid from a jig on a bench grinder. When you start your thread Randy @Mastermind let me know and I will try to contribute what I know about it.

I was taught to use a belt sander to sharpen them freehand.

Yeap......I gotta do a thread. Lol

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was gifted a drill doctor amongst a bunch of other tools when a friend/mentor moved out of town a few years back. Real small bits can be a pain for me(fortunately I hardly ever use them), but what a game changer from the free hand sharpening method I used prior. Which reminds me it is about time for bit sharpening day. Using a drill doctor isn't worthy of a thread though... that's what the instructions that come with it are for.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do it hillybilly style, put the bit in my cordless drill, spin it in reverse and carefully run it against my bench grinder. Sometimes it works better than others haha, but once you get the hang of the angles it works well enough.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They sell a Drill Doctor and assorted brands of sharpeners, but I use an old school device that mounts on the bench called a grinder.

Fixed

High school shop teacher taught us how to sharpen drill bits on a grinder. I do however have a drill doctor that I'd like to get set up. A little more precision never hurts

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you don't have a grinding wheel, can you use a file with the bit in a vice?