Light switch wiring question

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put a new light in today after work and when i pulled old light off ther was a big bundle of all black wires probly 4. Then a bundle of white that had three togeather which went to the white wire on light then another separate white wire that went to the black on light. Whats with all the wires and why would one lone white wire go to the black.

Oh and with the switch off the bundle of 3 wires were still hot. And yes i found that out the crapy way lol.

Why would white wires be hot with switch off.

House is probly from the 70s ish.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of times they would get the electrical outlet power at the lights, some would send power from the outlets to the lights, then run a white wire to the switch then back to the light. Other side of light would stay hot.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope just a regular switch.

Thers also a switch in kitchen that i would think is for the ceiling fan. Dont do anything when flip it. I tried hooking up like you would a normal switch and it just kicked the breaker so just bipassed it how it was befor.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of times they would get the electrical outlet power at the lights, some would send power from the outlets to the lights, then run a white wire to the switch then back to the light. Other side of light would stay hot.

That must not be up to todays code ?

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The lone white is probably the return from the wall switch. The black bundle is the hot junction, one of which carries power down to the switch then power returns on the white. The white bundle is the neutral junction for the rest of the light fixtures which a daisy chained off this box.

Believe it or not... pretty common and probably up to code.

The bundle of blacks will always be hot if the breaker is on. The whites will have power if any of their circuits are closed. For instance the next light in the run is on.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on what state you live in if it's up to code or not though

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Used to be able to run a ground fault Outlet off of a junction like that, now it has to be a dedicated circuit

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put a new light in today after work and when i pulled old light off ther was a big bundle of all black wires probly 4. Then a bundle of white that had three togeather which went to the white wire on light then another separate white wire that went to the black on light. Whats with all the wires and why would one lone white wire go to the black.

Oh and with the switch off the bundle of 3 wires were still hot. And yes i found that out the crapy way lol.

Why would white wires be hot with switch off.

House is probly from the 70s ish.

The lone white is probably the return from the wall switch. The black bundle is the hot junction, one of which carries power down to the switch then power returns on the white. The white bundle is the neutral junction for the rest of the light fixtures which a daisy chained off this box.

Believe it or not... pretty common and probably up to code.

The bundle of blacks will always be hot if the breaker is on. The whites will have power if any of their circuits are closed. For instance the next light in the run is on.

So Shawn has this mostly correct. If it’s wired correctly, which from your description it sounds like it is.
The whites should never have “power”, they are the grounded conductor, and should have no potential.

I’m guessing when you got shocked the neutral splice was broken open. This is what I’m sure Shawn was referring to. If the splice is intact, and you got shocked, either they are in fact fed from a hot leg, or you have a ground fault somewhere and are feeling the potential there.
If things are good what happens when the splice is broken, is you become the path for the other “closed” circuits to get home.
More people get shocked or killed from breaking neutral splices than anything else thinking they are safe.
You really should be killing the circuit before working on it. Especially if you are unsure of what’s going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is an example

5cfabe62ffc05668e99c12d356f3d647.jpg

Where the 2 red circles are you will read 120v if the neutral is broken there. And you will get one hell of a rapp!
It’s the same as touching hot and neutral even though they are both white...

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So Shawn has this mostly correct. If it’s wired correctly, which from your description it sounds like it is.
The whites should never have “power”, they are the grounded conductor, and should have no potential.

I’m guessing when you got shocked the neutral splice was broken open. This is what I’m sure Shawn was referring to. If the splice is intact, and you got shocked, either they are in fact fed from a hot leg, or you have a ground fault somewhere and are feeling the potential there.
If things are good what happens when the splice is broken, is you become the path for the other “closed” circuits to get home.
More people get shocked or killed from breaking neutral splices than anything else thinking they are safe.
You really should be killing the circuit before working on it. Especially if you are unsure of what’s going on.

You are corect. I should have killed the power first. I normally would have and this is a reminder to do it from now on.

On the other hand it made me forget about my ciatica pain for a few seconds.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are corect. I should have killed the power first. I normally would have and this is a reminder to do it from now on.

On the other hand it made me forget about my ciatica pain for a few seconds.

Lol
When I get hit, it seems either give me a headache, or take it away... [emoji23]

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Your last 3 sentences are the most important. Unless it's just not possible at all I will always kill a circuit before working on it. No circuit in your house is critical enough to take a chance by working on it hot. 120v will kill you.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your last 3 sentences are the most important. Unless it's just not possible at all I will always kill a circuit before working on it. No circuit in your house is critical enough to take a chance by working on it hot. 120v will kill you.

Yes. And by far is the voltage that kills more than any other.