High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Let's Talk Sealants

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I really like the new Yamabond plastic tube vs. the old metal one. Much easier to use and more control. Once you cut the tip off, it has a small silicone plug in there that needs removed. I pulled it out with a pick.
marks ver 029.jpg

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
5:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just depends on what you are trying to do. 1184 is great for gasket deletes. High tack for crankcase gaskets. Permashield for everything else. Copper coat for head gaskets on small engine's. Lots of good ones now days, just make sure it's fuel and oil resistant.

IMG_20170202_185122442.jpg

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went to school at Central Carolina Tech from 80 - 82. At that time 3M weather stripping adhesive was used a lot on gaskets as a dressing.

I've not thought about that in years. I wonder if it's fuel resistant?

Boy, that really takes me back. That stuff really held on. About needed a hatchet to get it appart. Then the blue and ultra's came and black, red, orange. The fad didn't last after all that.

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went to school at Central Carolina Tech from 80 - 82. At that time 3M weather stripping adhesive was used a lot on gaskets as a dressing.

Used to call that stuff "monkey snot" , it sticks to everything haha

bretts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would Loctite 515 be suitable for a base gasket delete and to stick the case halves together?.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would Loctite 515 be suitable for a base gasket delete and to stick the case halves together?.
I've used it, 518, permatex 51813, black rtv, motoseal, and another anaerobic loctite.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
3:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Motoseal grey is my go to. It doesn't have the intense harmful vapors like threebond does.
I like using a q-tip to apply it. It's the most controllable tool I've found with no waste left over. One thing I've noticed many are not allowing the Motoseal type makers to cure before mating the surfaces. It will be like a thin layer of latex rubber after curing and will make a better long term seal. It takes a good half hour of cure time before dropping the cylinder.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I still use it but you must let it dry completely or gas will wash it away.

And, yes, don't plan on taking it back apart.[emoji15]

Also use Permatex #2 for base gasket delete.

I dislike all the silicon stuff.

agee.ronaldj

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Any machinists out there? Would it work to do a compression fitting? I'm thinking the jug could be notched and the base could have tapered lip. Torque to X inch lbs, where X = however much to pass vacuum/pressure tests.
If that's the stupidest thing you've ever heard then please explain why in between giggles and eye rolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My opinion is a compression fitting type connection is the wrong application for a cylinder like this. Primarily because the forces and thermal changes involved. They have their place but not in a system this dynamic. Also, the consequence of it's failure is high considering you would fry the top end.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Motoseal,Yamabond or Hondabond all work good.

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I found this image on an amazon listing for a loctite primer:
71ySyhHLKyL._SL1500_.jpg

So do the jugs have copper in them? If so then the primer is unnecessary.

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use permatex the old stuff. And I put piston in the cylinder first and seal, so only piston pin and clipp to asemble then down With cylinder and titend the bolts in the crank.

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use permatex the old stuff. And I put piston in the cylinder first and seal, so only piston pin and clipp to asemble then down With cylinder and titend the bolts in the crank
Wow that is old school. Have not used it since the eighties. Still have half that tube half full.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't see the sense in using anything on a base gasket except a dab or two on the parting lines of the case .Permatex and Indian head shellac have worked since the days of the Model T Ford and still will .I think aviation Permatex is gasoline resistant but it's a gooey mess .I used it for a temporary repair of a gasoline fuel filler tube on a Ford Ranger with a sheet of Buna -n until I could fix it correctly in the spring time which it held . I darned sure wasn't going to do it in dead of winter if I could help it .This is Ohio not Florida .Global warming or not it still gets cold .