High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Let's talk race chain

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
1:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It is a dance for sure of trying to get all the components dialed in to work together to produce the quickest path through the wood.
I have a pretty decent collection of race chains from a lot of different guys, I will try to post up a few pics of some of the most drastic chains and maybe the guys here will chime in about what makes different features of a chain more suitable for different sizes of saws, types of wood, etc.
I need to do more testing as well, I have plenty of chains I have never even run yet LOL

I have not seen extensive rational all in one place. You catch a little here and a little there with multiple posts and even other threads. That would be awesome! This may turn into one of the better threads.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am thinking I could run one or two chains a week with pics and video all with the same bar and saw, might be helpful and definitely give me an excuse to run saws more often LOL.
I don't know much about what features benefit what situations but luckily I know some smart guys who make me killer chains to use in racing.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
12:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am thinking I could run one or two chains a week with pics and video all with the same bar and saw, might be helpful and definitely give me an excuse to run saws more often LOL.
I don't know much about what features benefit what situations but luckily I know some smart guys who make me killer chains to use in racing.
the type of wood you gotta run in makes a difference. Maybe more than some other factors.

Gum?
Or Aspen?

Oak?
Or Poplar?

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it me or does the first chain have a back lean on the side plate?
Its got lots of forward lean, notice the beak? That tiny beak is what sets the feed rate of the chain.
Here's a 3/8" I used on a 16" wet cottonwood back in 1988 with a stock appearing 064.
Was running a 7 T rim and kept the depth gauges untouched.
I didn't stone the sideplates and left lots of cutter to help clear chips in that small 16" spongy wood.
Every application needs a special chain.
20170515_204255_resized.jpg 20180415_115338_resized_1(1).jpg

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wondered about that # on the box, but this is square ground,it's hard to get a good pic but this one shows the corner.View attachment 166408 +0
I looked this chain over carefully under better light, now I don't think it is square ground, it was sold to me as square and I looked at it and thought it was.
There is 3 different angles on it but it but not square, not really round either.
Looked over my oregon square, looked good, some cutters had almost a hint of a beak looking down from the top.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's two chains from different era's, first is a 7 year old 72LGX with lots of side angle.
Last is a 73LP from 1992.
Both brand new ,never filed. Notice the older chain not having the VibeBan cutter like the newer one. Old one has equal ammount of material underneath the toe and heel rivets. That chain has the best sideplate angle for durability and still cuts fast . Thats how I file mine for work.
The chains from the 1970's early '80s had poor angles out of the box. They always had to be filed to get them to cut properly.
20190220_125605.jpg 20190220_125850.jpg

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the file with the nicest corners for filing race chain? I like the stihl 3 corner file for just regular filing but it doesn't leave much of a side plate