Country flag

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone mentioned a while ago if the rakers were to tall, the cutter takes a thinner chunk when cutting, thus a longer strip of wood.
I had a chain like that. I took 2 swipes off each raker and chips got back to normal.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every type of wood is different and every saw and chain is different so I can’t really say for sure
I understand that.
I was just thinking as far as keeping things moving under the clutch cover.
Someone mentioned a while ago if the rakers were to tall, the cutter takes a thinner chunk when cutting, thus a longer strip of wood.
I had a chain like that. I took 2 swipes off each raker and chips got back to normal.
Never heard that, but I guess it would allow the tooth to rock more?
If the wood is very wet, noodles typically are longer. Dry wood yields very short chip.
That makes sense too(not talking noodles, although some look that way). Since most cants are slightly wet softwood I would expect longer chips.
This was a chain I did up for a 346, the first picture is in very hard seasoned cherry.
Second is in a pine log with the bark still in place but it was cut down well over a yr ago.
Thoughts/advice appreciated guys.
Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 8.51.48 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 8.52.36 AM.png

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I understand that.
I was just thinking as far as keeping things moving under the clutch cover.

Never heard that, but I guess it would allow the tooth to rock more?

That makes sense too(not talking noodles, although some look that way). Since most cants are slightly wet softwood I would expect longer chips.
This was a chain I did up for a 346, the first picture is in very hard seasoned cherry.
Second is in a pine log with the bark still in place but it was cut down well over a yr ago.
Thoughts/advice appreciated guys.
View attachment 198735 View attachment 198736
I have zero racing credentials, but I would be ecstatic to see those chips from one of my chains. :)

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have zero racing credentials, but I would be ecstatic to see those chips from one of my chains. :)
Thanks.
It was nice, just not used to being chips in softwoods I guess.
I'm not a racer either, so I was just wondering if that would slow things down.
Long chips also indicate good chip clearance.
At least that is what I observed.
That was on a little 346, it was moving them fine from what I could tell on the softwood.
In the hardwood I could make a 325 chain cut about the same speed, but in the softwood there was no comparison.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay so dog boning and chamfering that top edge reduces weight and friction. The rivets are ground down a little and I assume that is for the same.

I see the rear of the cutter is cut at an angle. And I see the inside of the cutter is ground out. Is that chip clearance? I assume along with the gullet and dog bone.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . I see the rear of the cutter is cut at an angle. And I see the inside of the cutter is ground out. Is that chip clearance? I assume along with the gullet and dog bone.
Thinning the cutter plate reduces resistance of the cutter as it severs the fibers and the generated chip flows underneath it - that is how I see it anyways.

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update, the saw and the fixture posted above was stolen from my garage not long after I posted it. :mad:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WTF!!! [emoji2959]