shorthunter

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
But when?

During Gordon Blairs simulation of a chainsaw, he found that,

"The pressure at the cylinder end of the transfer duct exhibits a backflow during the first 10° of transfer port opening, as the cylinder pressure exceeds the crankcase pressure at that juncture during blowdown. The consequences of the backflow on the local purity and temperature can be found in Figs. 5.17 and 5.18. In Fig. 5.17, the purity at the cylinder end of the transfer duct drops temporarily from 0.95 to below 0.90 and, in Fig. 5.18, the temperature rises from 180°C to 280°C. When scavenging actually commences, it is with gas which is both hotter and less pure than it might otherwise be."

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi. To avoid backflo in the transferports you need to put on an pipe- expensioncamber to the engine. Best is to calculate one on computer so it matches the engine. And you can gain up to 20% of power With the right pipe

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Screenshot_20190913-214228.png I have just recently ran across a 262 that looks like it has ridden in the back of a truck under a pile of saws for the last 20 years. Starter housing has several cracks, the plastic starter spring retainer is broken in multiple spots, the metal rope guide in the starter is worn and cuts the rope, the fuel tank leaks from thrown chains (just fixed), side cover cracked, top cover cracked, well you get the idea......pulled it apart and the cylinder, piston, and crank appear to be in near excellent condition. I replaced the ring, rebuilt the carb, threw some filters at it and it runs great! I was very impressed how this saw runs stock. All I want to do now is fix the starter so its more reliable. I figure if it looks this rough no one will want to steal it.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
12:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 199187 I have just recently ran across a 262 that looks like it has ridden in the back of a truck under a pile of saws for the last 20 years. Starter housing has several cracks, the plastic starter spring retainer is broken in multiple spots, the metal rope guide in the starter is worn and cuts the rope, the fuel tank leaks from thrown chains (just fixed), side cover cracked, top cover cracked, well you get the idea......pulled it apart and the cylinder, piston, and crank appear to be in near excellent condition. I replaced the ring, rebuilt the carb, threw some filters at it and it runs great! I was very impressed how this saw runs stock. All I want to do now is fix the starter so its more reliable. I figure if it looks this rough no one will want to steal it.
The starter plastic is still available new for a reasonable price. You’ll have to swap the guts into it.