Lets see those Turkeys

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's going all right. I hear them gobbling every morning but the last few times I've been out none bothered to respond to me. I'm going to move my spot this evening to an area near where they roost, hopefully I can catch one waking up on saturday morning.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After work I walked out on the other side of the woods from where I usually go. This is where they usually roost, I saw several of them fly up into the trees and talk to each other. I made a little brush blind in a clearing near this area, gonna try it tomorrow.

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow
That's all I can say right now [emoji38]
b54be992f8fad2504c8dc29b6ead5342.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, didn't get anything this weekend but had some interesting experiences. The turkeys completely ignored my decoys and calls all weekend, they don't act like they are very eager for anything right now. Saturday morning I decided to move from one side of the field to another, in doing so I saw three big gobblers strolling along 100 yards away. They didn't see me and trotted over a hill. I tried to cut them off where I thought they would be on the other side of the hill. I was almost correct, I met them about 15 yards too far and they took off. As I was walking back to the house for lunch I spied a big hen turkey laying down in the grass 15 yards from my living room. She seemed quite comfortable, and finally took off when I got about 8 feet from her. A few seconds later another one bolted out of a brushy fencerow next to the backyard. This area is patrolled by my black lab and three cats but they didn't seem to mind.

This morning I went hunting again. The turkeys ignored me once more, however a big doe was really, really interested in my yelp call. She came over and looked at the decoys, looked at me, and kept trotting around the area like she couldn't figure out what was going on. I guess it's understandable: fake turkeys, with a human hiding in the brush making turkey noises. She hung out for like 30 minutes and finally high-tailed it when I stood up to head back to the house. It has been entertaining, at least!

bubmiller

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Were you using slugs [emoji38] hellofa shot man. Good job.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Haha! Winchester Longbeard 3" [emoji106]
Mossberg Maverick O/U, Carlson choke, red dot sight. Patterns like a slug. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Remington 870 20 gauge with OEM turkey tube and 26" barrel. My shells are the standard Express Long Range 1 oz. number 4 shot. I'm not planning to take any 60 yard shots or anything, but how far would you guys feel comfortable shooting a turkey with this gun and ammo? I was thinking around 35 yards maybe. I'm a little too broke right now to buy any fancy shells.

Man, I wish we had a rifle season here! My Marlin 1894 .357 with a soft lead flat nose slug would be just perfect.