High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

lawnboy engine teardown

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
4:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
i got a 7229 from @KYsawman he said it had around 60 lbs of compression, i proceeded to tear it down and to get the piston out of the jug required a few hard hits with a hammer found severe scoring stuck rings and a lot of rust.
Photos to follow.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The engines will usually run well just cleaning up the jug and if the piston isn't too scored just clean it up some along with the ring groves .
They run at 3500 RPM which is almost at a saw idle speed . I've cleaned up some bad ones and they run fine as long as seals and the rest is OK .

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
4:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The engines will usually run well just cleaning up the jug and if the piston isn't too scored just clean it up some along with the ring groves .
They run at 3500 RPM which is almost at a saw idle speed . I've cleaned up some bad ones and they run fine as long as seals and the rest is OK .
piston kits are 20$ and include rings,wrist pin,clips and bearing so im not going to try and save the piston. seal and bearings are no big deal they are still available through lawn boy.
PICS will be up soon it is just im been busy getting my stuff ready for the mowing business.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Used to see a lot of Lawnboys years ago .More so for people with small in town yards .They'd run almost forever but running the standard boat motor gas at 16 to one they'd fog for mosquitoes at the same time they mowed .Well built but they were never a "cheap" mower.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a Lawnboy engine,tiny little thing I bought when I was 13 years old for 2 bucks .I had the bright idea of using it on a motorbike which never happened .It's laying around some place on the home place in the barn .I did get the mini bike using a 2.5 HP Briggs off the old mans lawn mower when I was 14. Pain it the butt ,had to change the freakin engine to mow the yard .

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Rings for the F series are carried by several suppliers but the D series are not .

I did find one source and still made in the US of A by Hastings , part #4406 for the D series engines and C as well .
I got 2 sets last year and used one when rebuilding a D .