beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
8:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wondering what everyone likes for mandrel material?

I know aluminum is probably the standard but there's a lot of machinable plastics out there. So what's your favorite? Any particular length that works best?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I know aluminum is probably the standard but there's a lot of machinable plastics out there. So what's your favorite? Any particular length that works best?
Length would be determined by what size jug you got, as they get bigger, so do the mandrels.

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

About 10" , or so enough to get the carriage behind the work while cutting a base ....I've got some plastic , but many are aluminum

Sawhawgz, ruining the internet since 2012...

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're so much help...

Ok, ok been using aluminum for the mandrels and plastic for piston holders. I think the shortest is 9 inches for a small cylinder, but is very little wiggle room and have to be careful not to back into the chuck as it swings.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, ok been using aluminum for the mandrels and plastic for piston holders. I think the shortest is 9 inches for a small cylinder, but is very little wiggle room and have to be careful not to back into the chuck as it swings.

After actually looking, the 9 inch ones are double ended and the short singles are only 5 inches, damn old age kicking in. Lol

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use hard nylon threaded on a 1" cold rolled shaft held in a collet .Picture of same is on one of my hard drives some place .Just replace the threaded nylon with what ever size you need ,runs true .
This is a great idea

Sawhawgz, ruining the internet since 2012...