Lapua

ny15

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The RCBS dispenser is a huge time saver. I hand prime and have used a Forster Co Ax for the last 8 years with excellent results. A lot of guys don't enjoy handloading but I find it relaxing.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
3:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't shot a FCP in 338. I imagine it's not going to be a set up that you will enjoy shooting 50+ rounds out of at a time. Personally if I ever get a 338 id get a platform that has a little more weight to it for recoil absorption.

I'd like to get a 458 SOCOM some day. But up here in Michigan neither the 458 or 338 serves me much practical use.

Like Mike said, you can't go wrong with a RCBS Rockchucker.

For a powder thrower, pick what you can find on sale. They are all pretty much the same design and concept, just a different color. I started out using a Hornady LNL like Mike has and it served me well until I got a Chargemaster.

You can get into basic reloading for relatively cheap. It's the small things that make the process more productive that can get costly.
Thanks for the info. As far as shooting 50+ rounds my shoulder could probably take it ( Gluten for punishment) but it's my wallet that will be crying :-( Savage also makes the 110 BA in.338 it is substantially heavier because it has an aluminium frame I think it's almost 16lbs vs. approx.11lb for the FCP . The BA is just very tactical looking and I have kinda lost interest in that after a lot of AR's,who knows. I don't have a lot of need for something like this either but it is very appealing to learn the skills necessary to make a 1500yd shot consistently,lots of decisions, Gun,Optic,Mil Dot or Moa???? Like I said,who knows I might before I actually lay the cash on the counter might decide to liquidate other toys and pony up for a Barrett ;-) doubt it,but I like the big bullet....

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
3:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Long range shooting is not budget friendly. Getting good at 1500 yards requires a ton of investment and time.
Yes I can imagine, might spend all this money to figure out I cant hit the broad side of a barn! Start pouting and make one of you guys a great deal on a Sniper in a box kit.... :'( = :) 4sum1

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mil/mil. If you want to just sample long range shooting get a 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, or even 308 in a FCP Savage and a SWFA fixed power scope and you're in for around $12-1500 and can afford off the shelf ammo. They'll get to 1k and that will test the waters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long range shooting is not budget friendly. Getting good at 1500 yards requires a ton of investment and time.

It is a huge investment for ELR, but it's fun if you have the land to shoot that far. Like Mike said, if you are only going to 1500 then a 300wm or a 6.5 may be a cheaper option. At 1500 that is just getting into the sweet spot of a 338

Heck, last year at the ELR we had a guy shooting 1800 meters with his 308.

A 50 is actually cheaper to shoot that the 338. I've never priced any of them cause I don't have neither. But talking to guys at the class a few years back one of them made a comment about 338 being $7 a round and 50 being 3-4. (And these guys are shooting over 700 rounds over the weekend)

For scopes I'm a mil guy, it's what I know and what I train with. What ever reticle you go with (mil or moa) make sure your turrets match the reticle.
Plus, whatever scope you get you will want one with either Mildot's or something of the sort. I prefer plain mildot over one with lines. It's hard to lose a mildot in trees and brush when you are looking through it at a target over a mile away.

If you are needing a scope I've got a USO 3.7-17 that I need to sell

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For optics, I'm a Leopold guy. I love their stuff and the guys there are great. I'm good friends with one of the reps and he was on the design team of the Mark 8.

Nightforce and USO would be my second choice.

I've pretty much seen every other scope fail in one way or another, personally I can't recommend any other "top tier" brand from the experiences that I've seen.

Whatever you do, don't buy a S&B.....

2stroke800

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long range shooting is NOT cheap.... haha! But, there are ways to "cheat" and be very proficient with very little long range shooting experience. Take for instance my barrett 99. It has the leupold mk4 m1 with the barrett BORS system on top. Once you have a proper ballistic chart loaded on the bors system that matches your ammo, the rifle is childs play after that. Range target, dial range on bors system, account for windage, and one shot one kill all the time. My longest shot on something so far where i pull up, whip the gun out, and nail a target was 1,646 yrds. Some of my shooting friends were amazed, and guaranteed me i couldnt do it again. Soo i stacked 2 more rnds both within 5" of the first. I honestly even amazed myself that day as i had only had the rifle about 2 months before this. I LOVE the BARRETT!!! Haha! I have put over 250 rnds thru it in one day and only stopped because i ran out of ammo. Its a beast!!

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a bag of once or twice-fired .338 Lapua brass that I don't need. Maybe 30-40 in there. Back to reloading the .340 Weatherby. Any takers?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If no one else needs it I'll take it. Trying to decide what big bore to get this year.

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If no one else needs it I'll take it. Trying to decide what big bore to get this year.

Iffen a great deal on a new Wby Mark 5 in .340 hadn't come along, I would stayed with a .338 Lapua. It throws heavier lead just a bit better, but with 250gr, the .340 stands it's ground in a nice light package for elk hunting.

I'm up early to get turkey #2. I fixed up some wild turkey marsala last night and the little lady is going to want it again. I was really good!

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
340 is a great cartridge in its own right

As Doug Marcaida would say, "It will keel"!
100_0056_zps35baf7f4.jpg