High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Kohler command vtwin compression

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
How much compression should one of these have. I have a horizontal shaft vtwin that I want to check, but I don't know what it is supposed to be.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok guys I went ahead and tore into this thing. It was a 24 hp kohler and checked the compression, one side read 160psi the other read 40psi. did a redneck leak down test involving a airtank and my ears. To ensure the valves were closed I took off the rocker arms, determined that both valves were leaking after the test, there was an attempt to lap them but the pitting in the exhaust seat was too deep. with my lack of experience in this area i decided that it was best to go a different route.

I then took the head off of a donor engine, did a quick leak check of the valves with brake clean. Found that the intake leaked, it was then lapped and rechecked good. After all this I cleaned everything and installed the head with a new gasket and worked my way back up. After it was all back together compression in both cylinders was around 160psi. So I think that's pretty good for a rookie.

Later I will reinstall this back in the mower and get it running, when I do I will update.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
did a redneck valve lapping job with me only took an hour to find a drill LOL.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok guys I went ahead and tore into this thing. It was a 24 hp kohler and checked the compression, one side read 160psi the other read 40psi. did a redneck leak down test involving a airtank and my ears. To ensure the valves were closed I took off the rocker arms, determined that both valves were leaking after the test, there was an attempt to lap them but the pitting in the exhaust seat was too deep. with my lack of experience in this area i decided that it was best to go a different route.

I then took the head off of a donor engine, did a quick leak check of the valves with brake clean. Found that the intake leaked, it was then lapped and rechecked good. After all this I cleaned everything and installed the head with a new gasket and worked my way back up. After it was all back together compression in both cylinders was around 160psi. So I think that's pretty good for a rookie.

Later I will reinstall this back in the mower and get it running, when I do I will update.
How low did you have the idle set during operation? Sometimes a really low idle will trigger the built in comp release and burn valves that Crack open for comp release. Or just had lots of hours on it

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I bought this mower with the intention of fixing it. The original motor threw the rod for some reason. The engine I was working on I was given to for free. I don't know the history of either, I am new to four stroke stuff and am trying to learn. I've gotta get time to mount it back in the cub and see how it's gonna run.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Also thanks for responding any advice is welcome.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
reason for the burned valves it has 3,000 + hrs on it.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There's no telling honestly. But it did run if only for a bit. I'm gonna attempt to clean the carb and maybe adjust the governor. Need to get some zip ties and organize some wires while I'm at it. I can't wait to get this beast to life.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i use trash bag ties to tidy up wiring it works and lasts longer than zip ties.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Holy cow the carb kits for these are $70 I'm gonna see if Napa can cross it and get it cheaper