“Kit” saws... Thoughts?

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen “kit” saws offered by a few different vendors: huztl, hl, etc... and the prices are all over the map.
Are they all made by the same place or are they different kits?
I have been asked to build a couple and would like to know if there is a difference.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
9:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My thought is save your money and buy a oem builder saw, then you know what you have when you are done, a quality machine. I feel.its ok to use a few AM.parts, fuel tank, maybe some covers, that's about all I can think of that I would use myself. The 440 kits this year were complete garbage!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do yourself a favor and just bow out while you can.

You get what you pay for, and there is a reason for that. When you add in the time it takes to go through every AM part and insure that it’s in working order, the kits cost more than an oem saw. I’ll never touch one again.

Regardless of the manufacturer, different models can have different levels of (dare I say) workmanship.

We got our 660 and 440 kits from Huztl for the last two buildoffs. The 660’s were actually ok, many are still in service. The 440’s were complete garbage with nearly every part having an issue. Pretty much, the case halves and the top cover were OK. Every other part was defective. The case halves were loaded with metal filings and the bearings and seals needed removal for proper cleaning. The impulse barb was .125” too long, which really caused some serious head scratching until we finally figured it out.

Stay away.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know if there are differences between the different AM makes. There are also now running saws being sold, which may be a better way to go.

Don't do a kit saw unless you go through the problems others have identified and are prepared to spend extra time in exchange for the lower cost.

It can be rewarding. I brought an OEM P+C back to life with a kit, but you have to know what to do to make it both smooth and reliable.

They can also be a low cost way for you to learn about saw porting, if you have the time to mess with them.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Read Al's post over and over again. Everything he covered is 100% true. There is not one good reason to build one of these kits for someone else. Al and I spoke at the GTG. The main concern I had after building the China 440 is what to do with it after the build off. I can't, in good conscious, sell it as it is.....it vibrates twice as much as an OEM saw. I don't see this saw holding together for too long. Soooooo I've got a nice used crankcase, piston and cylinder I'll take all the OEM parts I used on the China 440 along with the AM fuel tank,plastic covers and build a RELIABLE saw to sell. Realistically I won't make any money doing this but more of a way to recoup some of the cost.

I remember as a kid, my dad would buy kits from Heathkit. I wonder if those kits were a pain in the ass. I was young and enjoyed spending time putting them together with him. I don't remember him pulling his hair out just to make them work. Lol

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only built one 372 from huztl
It was a Shortblock bigbore
Never messed with the kits.
It's still doing good coil was bad
Swapped out for oem.
And fuel and pulse line's were trash.
The best and least problems i've
Had are the assembled 365s
I used ft 372 cylinders
And echo fuel line
I have 4 of them around 200-230.00 shipped
I've been running them almost 2 year's
Had one leaky case gasket
I fixed and a couple of too light chain brakes.
That's the only issue's i've had
These are not huztl different manufacturer
Case's and tanks are different with an external tank vent.
Plastics and fit and finish were better on these.20181012_160121.jpg I've cut a lot with them
And would buy another if i ever needed one.
But they are not perfect
They may need some tinkering.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They have their place. Just not in my garage.

I built a 066 kit saw last year and it seemed ok, not great quality but serviceable. If I remember correctly. The fuel and impulse hoses were junk. The fuel and oil caps didn't seal and the fuel tank that came with the kit leaked.

Right off the bat I added in $60-70 of oem parts including oem wrist pin and clutch bearings, oem oil pump worm and other smalls.

It seemed like a solid saw when I was done, but probably not woth the hassel. I sold it for a loss when all was said and done.

Steven

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think if you have a good line up of OEM saws & your lookin for something to play with, learn from & have a bit of fun kit saws are a decent option. Saws are hobbies for many and some guys have had a lot of fun with them. But when you get frustrated is when you think you can save a bunch of money buying one to do the work of a high dollar OEM pro saw is when your kidding yourself. Working with a saw each day is hard enough work with OEM saws, they sometimes give you grief. Kit saws should be for fun and play, that way your expectations are in check.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
http://opeforum.com/threads/devil-with-a-blue-dress.14355/

The OP may want to take a look at the recently posted video by Walt. He does some great video reviews of various saw issues.
He has quite a bit of information on many saws on his Youtube channel. Worth the watch if you ask me.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only built one 372 from huztl
It was a Shortblock bigbore
Never messed with the kits.
It's still doing good coil was bad
Swapped out for oem.
And fuel and pulse line's were trash.
The best and least problems i've
Had are the assembled 365s
I used ft 372 cylinders
And echo fuel line
I have 4 of them around 200-230.00 shipped
I've been running them almost 2 year's
Had one leaky case gasket
I fixed and a couple of too light chain brakes.
That's the only issue's i've had
These are not huztl different manufacturer
Case's and tanks are different with an external tank vent.
Plastics and fit and finish were better on these.View attachment 147389 I've cut a lot with them
And would buy another if i ever needed one.
But they are not perfect
They may need some tinkering.

So you're saying the Husky clones are not from FarmerTech? Or did I misunderstand, just trying to clarify. Thank you sir.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you're saying the Husky clones are not from FarmerTech? Or did I misunderstand, just trying to clarify. Thank you sir.
Who knows how many companies are making parts or complete saws.
I have a variety of 372 cylinders and parts
From different companies.
And at least 2 offering complete
Saws huztl/farmertec/holzforma is one
And the other company i have seen has many different names.
I also bought 2 china hi top 372s
From a different vendor aliexpress
They are exactly the same as my non huztl 365s
Just 372 with hi tops
Fun saws
Not a pro logger though
They've served me well 20180310_174130.jpg there's always 371/372 in the classifieds here
If your after oem

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Read Al's post over and over again. Everything he covered is 100% true. There is not one good reason to build one of these kits for someone else. Al and I spoke at the GTG. The main concern I had after building the China 440 is what to do with it after the build off. I can't, in good conscious, sell it as it is.....it vibrates twice as much as an OEM saw. I don't see this saw holding together for too long. Soooooo I've got a nice used crankcase, piston and cylinder I'll take all the OEM parts I used on the China 440 along with the AM fuel tank,plastic covers and build a RELIABLE saw to sell. Realistically I won't make any money doing this but more of a way to recoup some of the cost.

I remember as a kid, my dad would buy kits from Heathkit. I wonder if those kits were a pain in the ass. I was young and enjoyed spending time putting them together with him. I don't remember him pulling his hair out just to make them work. Lol

I can tell you how to get rid of the felt vibrations (if you are interested). First, the upper left vibration mount is not as thick as OEM, slip 2 or 3 small washers under it. Next, many of the handles are bent wrong and negate the spacing you just did. Remover the top handle and tinker with the bends a bit, removing the "pinch" pressure, and make sure it is not touching the saw near the top of the cylinder on the right side.

You will be surprised the difference these changes can make. AV only works when it actually separates the engine from the handle.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who knows how many companies are making parts or complete saws.
I have a variety of 372 cylinders and parts
From different companies.
And at least 2 offering complete
Saws huztl/farmertec/holzforma is one
And the other company i have seen has many different names.
I also bought 2 china hi top 372s
From a different vendor aliexpress
They are exactly the same as my non huztl 365s
Just 372 with hi tops
Fun saws
Not a pro logger though
They've served me well View attachment 147433 there's always 371/372 in the classifieds here
If your after oem

OMG, that is the most bootleg thing Ive seen since the imitation Air Jordan's sold at Wal-Mart when I was a kid.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
660 kit isn't bad but the 440 kit is junk. The cylinders in these kits are scrap metal. Don't waste your time

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got some New West big bore cylinders that look pretty decent. They need some improvement, but they are running fine so far.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got some New West big bore cylinders that look pretty decent. They need some improvement, but they are running fine so far.
Who sells those?
One of the randys told me about them