High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Just tried square ground, am I missing something?

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just tried a brand new 28” loop of square ground Stihl RS on my ported 65cc saw. I filed the rakers to about .027. The right side needed a lot more filing than the left. It looks/feels pretty sharp, but I can’t tell any difference between it and my own round ground chain as far as cutting speed. It took a bit of power to pull it compared to my round chain, but it was in a 24” frozen elm. The saw sounded like it was loaded pretty good, but it didn’t seem to cut any faster than it used to.

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
9:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought several loops of square chisel 36". I tried to sharpen with the special files without great suceess. I ended up just grinding them round.. When cutting, I just change out chains and sharpen them after dark. I can knock out the round grind pretty quickly. Raker grinder helps too. I don't bother with skip chains anymore either.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just tried a brand new 28” loop of square ground Stihl RS on my ported 65cc saw. I filed the rakers to about .027. The right side needed a lot more filing than the left. It looks/feels pretty sharp, but I can’t tell any difference between it and my own round ground chain as far as cutting speed. It took a bit of power to pull it compared to my round chain, but it was in a 24” frozen elm. The saw sounded like it was loaded pretty good, but it didn’t seem to cut any faster than it used to.
Outta the box isn’t real fast, lasts pretty good though. After sharpening is when it comes to life.
183C4F1F-35C8-4754-8D6B-81BEEEB28266.jpeg

Leeroy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes you are missing many hours of practice on filing square ground chain. I couldn't imagine using it out of the box. You really have to put the time in.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After grinding and testing 11 loops of semi chisel Saturday, I was so depressed, I touched up the square 28" loop on the 390.. With file and fluid.

Just to remember what a chain was supposed to cut like.

Man I hate semi chisel.

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol.
I'm from up North so the snow doesn't bother me but not much for flip flops even when it's hot out.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk