High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Just purchased a 661, have a 660 did I do the right thing?

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I have a nice 660 and I haven't had it long, it's a really nice saw and I'm happy with it. A deal came up on a 661 and I jumped on it. It's a 2016 model and after researching the coil and intake issues should be fixed sometime after 2014/15.
So is this saw going to be a runner and make me sell the 660? Truth be told I don't need a 90cc saw but heck they sure are fun. My 660 is a super clean model and I really don't want to sell it, but is the 661 that good?

After having a 362cm I am one of the few that's a fan of the M-Tronic, I like the fact that it keeps me out of trouble and runs in theory at a good clip always. I have found quickly that I am a bit conservative and run my 461 and 660 pretty fat. In contrast my 362 gave me the piece of mind to just run it and it always ran great.

Time will tell and I hope I don't have any issues with the 661, hopefully I got a good one?!?

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take them both out one day and run them one after the other.
Anti-vibes, ergonomics, weight, fuel consumption and how it feels in the cut might all help you decide and since both are desirable in the resale market you should do well with either if you decide to sell one
Dave

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the plan, but being a newbie I just wanted to make sure. I don't see a lot on the 661, besides the cutting teeth issues in the beginning. Honestly made me think twice about buying the saw, but then you read about the good ones and guys love them.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep them both for a few months. Like Dave says, they'll sell easily, and they aren't depreciating noticeably. After cutting with them each for a while, you'll know which one to keep. Or you'll just end up keeping both of them..

I like my ported 660 a lot, but if I was running it all day, I think the spring AV on the 661 would be welcome.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you sir. I just like to hear it from you guys who know far better than me, but that's what I'm thinking. Keep them both for a bit and one will shine.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes you did the right thing, now all you need is a 064, a 066 red light, and a 066 flat top to go along with them, then your 85-90cc Stihl saw collection will be some what complete.

:)

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like everyone's ideas!
Issue is I don't need a 90cc saw, heck my 461 will handle everything. Here in my area of Va we have a lot of thin trees, even the tall ones.
My longest bar is a 28".
Thinking of putting the 20" on the 461, 24" on the 660, and the 28" on the 661.
Overkill all around, but it should be fun, lol.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like everyone's ideas!
Issue is I don't need a 90cc saw, heck my 461 will handle everything. Here in my area of Va we have a lot of thin trees, even the tall ones.
My longest bar is a 28".
Thinking of putting the 20" on the 461, 24" on the 660, and the 28" on the 661.
Overkill all around, but it should be fun, lol.

I still don't see the "issue". :)

I think your plan for which bars on which saw seems perfect. Overkill makes for fun cutting. When you have to lug it around through the woods all day that overkill might not be as welcome, but otherwise, bring it on.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so I'm an idiot, ha. Got the saw Thursday, I was already outside doing work and had the 461 and 660 out. So I quickly changed the bars around and went to test out the 661. Well I guess I didn't line the chain roller up right and ended up getting that stripped feeling with the front bar nut. I stopped and knew I had caused a problem but figured I'd run it as it was holding and then deal with it. Started after a few pulls, sounded really good, noodled 2 logs and then noticed the front captive bar nut was loose and shut her down.

I stripped the captive nut so I removed it thinking I have a bunch of standard bar nuts so I can get back to work.
Well here in lies the problem, a standard nut doesn't fit as it appears the stud is shorter (with the captive nuts) so it won't grab. Checked my 660 studs and they are the same length ( too short), checked the 660 cover and while it fits the 661 cover is thicker on the back (against the bar) so the 660 cover will line up the nuts bottom out on the stud without clamping the bar down.
Worst part is none of my dealers have them, heck one tried to sell me a new cover.

So hopefully someone can learn from my mistake. I may have them Tuesday, I work a 24hr shift Wednesday and then I'm headed to drop some trees and buck some wood on Thursday. Really hope I can have the 661 ready.

Sorry for the novel but again I hope someone can learn something from my mistake, I know Ive learned a lot.

The best lessons are those that are painfull, lol.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh and just to be clear the saw is great and so is the seller I screwed this up all by myself!

I had a Gunny tell me one day if you put a Jarhead in a sealed room with a rock theirs only 3 outcomes. The rock would be lost, stolen, or broken! I'm the broken kinda guy.

Gunn

Yay sawz
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to drill the old captive nut flange away and you can remove it from the cover. Stihl makes a special swaging tool that's threads into the new bar nut to secure it to the cover.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the nut out, but I'm waiting on a replacement nut that no locals have.

I used a dremmel tool. I clamped the nut in the most outward position exposing the flange behind the head of the nut then just used a cutoff disk and slowly turned it as it cut.

That's just how I made it work not saying it's the best way but it worked and I didn't have any collateral damage.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't feel bad the captive bar nuts on the 661 are rubbish! what you have experienced is just one of the problems with them. The best mod you can do is get rid of them altogether you need to get two interference fit bushes made for the clutch cover and run standard bar nuts . Doing this will save a lot of headaches down the track Stihl know of the problems with the captive bar nuts on the 661 and the weak rear stud- the stud pulls the threads or the case cracks and brakes away from the stud but this was meant to have been addressed by Stihl? they must of as I've not heard or seen of it for while.
Not many like the captive bar nuts on the 661 that work in the timber industry over here that I've talked too if someone had a lathe and made the bushes I think they would sell well once word got around of any easy less than 20min fix,not many have the time to go looking for someone to make them. a kit with the two bushes and two genuine bar nuts hmm now that would be nice.

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so I'm an idiot, ha. Got the saw Thursday, I was already outside doing work and had the 461 and 660 out. So I quickly changed the bars around and went to test out the 661. Well I guess I didn't line the chain roller up right and ended up getting that stripped feeling with the front bar nut. I stopped and knew I had caused a problem but figured I'd run it as it was holding and then deal with it. Started after a few pulls, sounded really good, noodled 2 logs and then noticed the front captive bar nut was loose and shut her down.

I stripped the captive nut so I removed it thinking I have a bunch of standard bar nuts so I can get back to work.
Well here in lies the problem, a standard nut doesn't fit as it appears the stud is shorter (with the captive nuts) so it won't grab. Checked my 660 studs and they are the same length ( too short), checked the 660 cover and while it fits the 661 cover is thicker on the back (against the bar) so the 660 cover will line up the nuts bottom out on the stud without clamping the bar down.
Worst part is none of my dealers have them, heck one tried to sell me a new cover.

So hopefully someone can learn from my mistake. I may have them Tuesday, I work a 24hr shift Wednesday and then I'm headed to drop some trees and buck some wood on Thursday. Really hope I can have the 661 ready.

Sorry for the novel but again I hope someone can learn something from my mistake, I know Ive learned a lot.

The best lessons are those that are painfull, lol.

I re read this and don't get why you cant get a standard nut to start? the 661 bar stud sits proud of the cover by about a nut with a bar just like a stud on a 660 well maybe a hair less than a 660 but there is nothing in it really. Are you sure the cover is lined up correctly or am I missing something? just trying to help out should be plenty of thread to start the nut?
images.jpg content-ms661-handhabung-krallenanschlag-zoom_rdax_85.jpg