Just bought a 181se in working order, £150 all in, no bar or chain though

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
5:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carb kit fuel line and the occasional seal replacement.
They made damn good seals back then i'm still running saw's with original seals.
Pull the muffler check piston condition.
A dual port and retune really helps those saw's.
Does it have a tillottson carb.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carb kit fuel line and the occasional seal replacement.
They made damn good seals back then i'm still running saw's with original seals.
Pull the muffler check piston condition.
A dual port and retune really helps those saw's.
Does it have a tillottson carb.

Not sure on the carb situation. It is from a 100% seller (600+) as a running saw that needs a bar and chain. I love the 1/2 series Huskies. They look retro cool.

I will at the very least mod the muffler and check all the obvious. Wish the top cover was in better condition. The rest of the saw is pretty clean

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The chinese mufflers are good open mufflers and cheap .
I've been buying those and modding them instead of cutting oems up.
They are getting harder to find in
Good condition here.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice saw man. Pull the muffler and check the piston for scoring as others have suggested. Next up is pressure check, fuel line etc. I personally would give the recoil assembly a good inspection. These old non-decomp saws put a whoopin on the recoil.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice saw man. Pull the muffler and check the piston for scoring as others have suggested. Next up is pressure check, fuel line etc. I personally would give the recoil assembly a good inspection. These old non-decomp saws put a whoopin on the recoil.

Now I see you have your beaut of a 288xp as well as a 372.. I havn't got this 181 through the post yet so cannot say... BUT how do the weights and balance stack up between the two. If I end up keeping it I will have to stick a 288 top end as the specs between the 181 and 372xp that I have on cutting are pretty similar but I am guessing the 181 will pull more torque while the 372 will use more speed.

I am super excited on this one. Had an 066 not long ago but I never like the weight and feel of it. I like the idea of an old brute 80+ cc saw and I am a firm believer (among the few in the UK) that Husqvarna make the better balanced and better power to weight saws.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I see you have your beaut of a 288xp as well as a 372.. I havn't got this 181 through the post yet so cannot say... BUT how do the weights and balance stack up between the two. If I end up keeping it I will have to stick a 288 top end as the specs between the 181 and 372xp that I have on cutting are pretty similar but I am guessing the 181 will pull more torque while the 372 will use more speed.

I am super excited on this one. Had an 066 not long ago but I never like the weight and feel of it. I like the idea of an old brute 80+ cc saw and I am a firm believer (among the few in the UK) that Husqvarna make the better balanced and better power to weight saws.
I've never run a 181 but I can offer some perspective between my 288 and 372 and it is just as you stated. 372 achieves higher rpm at the moment but the 288 has a noticeable torque advantage. After I completed my build I pryed on the 288 very hard in some hard maple to try and stop the chain but it just kept cutting down to about 8k. In 20" wood they are pretty much dead even as far as speed with a 7 pin on the ported 372 and an 8 pin on the near stock 288. I'm pretty certain that once I port my 288 it will leave the 372 behind, especially in bigger wood with a long bar. @T.Roller posted a video of a rattler ported 288 in the "all things 288xp" thread on page 18. To says it's impressive is an understatement. Love my big bore 372, but there's just something about that dern 288 that's addictive. With regard to weight and balance...the 288 does not feel a lot heavier than my 372. Doesn't have that big dog feel that you get with a 394 or other big huskies. The 288 is a pleasure run, feels nimble for an 87cc saw.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Guess I'll just have to see how this 181 at 81cc fares then :)

Will probs as people suggest put a newer 288 style clutch cover/brake and pack the rare metal one away.

Canne wait!
I would stick with the 181 cylinder. No reason to change it to a 288. Is it a thin ring piston?

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Guess I'll just have to see how this 181 at 81cc fares then :)

Will probs as people suggest put a newer 288 style clutch cover/brake and pack the rare metal one away.

Canne wait!
I agree with the newer style clutch cover