Jonsered Shocker!

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heard this rather disturbing news this afternoon guys. And it ain't a joke. From what I've been told, the powers that be have decided to beef up and expand the Red Max brand. Part of this plan includes killing the Jonsered brand, and re-branding the saws as Red Max. They are also giving Red Max some of the Husky commercial mowing equipment. I kind of get the idea of putting the effort into one brand, but come on, no more Jonsered? Absolutely floored me when I heard this.

I'd like for this to turn out to be wrong, but I wouldn't post it if it didn't come from a good source, so it sounds legit at this point. Boo. :(

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heard this rather disturbing news this afternoon guys. And it ain't a joke. From what I've been told, the powers that be have decided to beef up and expand the Red Max brand. Part of this plan includes killing the Jonsered brand, and re-branding the saws as Red Max. They are also giving Red Max some of the Husky commercial mowing equipment. I kind of get the idea of putting the effort into one brand, but come on, no more Jonsered? Absolutely floored me when I heard this.

I'd like for this to turn out to be wrong, but I wouldn't post it if it didn't come from a good source, so it sounds legit at this point.
that's ridiculous redmax had their shot around here and failed.
Wonderful trimmer/ brushcutters but the saw's never caught on.
Lot's of diehard jonsered guy's i hope it doesn't happen.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have also heard this news last weekend at the woodsman field days. As far as Redmax having their shot? If it weren't for Husky Buying them who would of designed all the new chainsaws.

Scott
Redmax saw's sold very poorly for my friends dealership back then.
Trimmers/ brushcutters did very well.
My jonsered dealer is still going strong for now he did pick up shindaiwa/echo as well.
That's my view locally of this.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They would be shooting themselves in the foot getting rid of Jonsered. That's all the dealers near my uncle. Which is a pretty big area.

Get rid of RedMax. Few products of theirs around here.

Way more Echos, Jonsereds and Huskies and Stihls. Areas east of my city are primarily Jonsered, center and west are Husky and Stihl. Stihl is very prominent, which is obvious as they have commercials on TV every now and then.

Maybe I will be buying a 2188 before they get axed. Values jumping, anyone? Glad I got my 2152 now. It may end up worth a boat load if they are stupid enough to cut Jonsered out of their lineup. But I won't sell it... or the 2188.

Let me know if this turns out to be getting closer to be true... as in de facto, yes they are killing Jonsered.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to say @Sleeper, but I think this is legit. Heard it from 2 different sources. First was a former rep who's been around a long time. Then I sent an e-mail to my Husky rep and asked him if this was true, and his answer was "That is confirmed".

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to say @Sleeper, but I think this is legit. Heard it from 2 different sources. First was a former rep who's been around a long time. The I sent an e-mail to my Husky rep and asked him if this was true or not, and his answer was "That is confirmed".

Well, looks like some more of my money will go to a 2188. If I can get it for the price I'm looking for. I will ask my nearby Husky dealers and see if they heard about it or not.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe I will be buying a 2188 before they get axed. Values jumping, anyone? Glad I got my 2152 now. It may end up worth a boat load if they are stupid enough to cut Jonsered out of their lineup. But I won't sell it... or the 2188.

I got one or two if you want one. :)

I've already decided that when this goes down I won't continue the saws in Red Max. (and I am a Red Max dealer for over 20 years) The Jonnys don't sell near as good as the Huskys as it is, and the Red Max saws would sell way less than that. So, I'll just go all Husky and move on. Jonsered does have a little following in my area, but those guys will migrate to Husky, not to Red Max. Got couple dozen Jonnys in stock at good prices, but I won't even bother to order more as they wind them down.

Also have to wonder how many models Red Max gets. The last time they tried this, Red Max only got versions of the 353 and 570. They may only get a limited selection.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought you were going to announce that the new J-Red version of the 572 was going to be available right away in North America. I guess not so much...

I guess maybe never for me. Not sure how this will play out in Canada. This could be a US only deal. Maybe you'll get to run a 2272 up there.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess maybe never for me. Not sure how this will play out in Canada. This could be a US only deal. Maybe you'll get to run a 2272 up there.

Hard to say. In my area there isn't a serious dealer that carried J-red that doesn't also carry Husky. I just don't know if we are a big enough market to support both brands.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got one or two if you want one. :)

I've already decided that when this goes down I won't continue the saws in Red Max. (and I am a Red Max dealer for over 20 years) The Jonnys don't sell near as good as the Huskys as it is, and the Red Max saws would sell way less than that. So, I'll just go all Husky and move on. Jonsered does have a little following in my area, but those guys will migrate to Husky, not to Red Max. Got couple dozen Jonnys in stock at good prices, but I won't even bother to order more as they wind them down.

Also have to wonder how many models Red Max gets. The last time they tried this, Red Max only got versions of the 353 and 570. They may only get a limited selection.

I contacted another guy here about a 2188... he was a dealer for Jonsered, but is switching to Dolmar/Makita. We'll see what he says to my offer.

I have a 2152C that I picked up last weekend. Now need a 80/90cc class saw to top off my collection of newer easy to find parts for saws. My 372XT fills the hole for 70cc class, 2152 gets 50cc class. One to find yet is a 60cc class saw. Hoping for a 262 from the raffle. Not going to inflate my balloon on that though.

I'll get in a lot of trouble buying more saws, until I get rid of some. Pissing money away like urine right now... CAD at its worst... lol.

Could be worse... could be a troublesome drug addict that steals stuff... so, I think I am doing okay.

astnmacgto

Earn a living with white powdery substances
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
@Spike60 would you happen to have a 2165 sitting on the shelf?