Jonsered 670 Champ

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up a jonsered 670 champ today. Feared the worst, but pulled the trigger without a thorough inspection. Didn't even try to start it. The chain was rusted to the bar but it felt like it had compression. The price wasn't bad though, so I figured what the hey. Topend is good, put some gas in it and it fired right off, idled, and has good throttle response. Looking forward to getting it some wood. Any idea what the bar is? Says made in USA, kinda looks like a Windsor but I thought those were Canadian.

IMG_1568.JPG IMG_1569.JPG IMG_1570.JPG

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
11:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up a jonsered 670 champ today. Feared the worst, but pulled the trigger without a thorough inspection. Didn't even try to start it. The chain was rusted to the bar but it felt like it had compression. The price wasn't bad though, so I figured what the hey. Topend is good, put some gas in it and it fired right off, idled, and has good throttle response. Looking forward to getting it some wood. Any idea what the bar is? Says made in USA, kinda looks like a Windsor but I thought those were Canadian.

View attachment 70703 View attachment 70704 View attachment 70705
Looks very much like this sandvik stamped bar original to this 1992 alpina 600 professional i just fixed.20170520_130053.jpg 20170520_130035.jpg

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thanks guys, I tend to pick up the "classics" when I can find them. I almost never run across a pro saw around my area that isn't a stihl, so finding something different is always fun. I only wish every saw had T27 torx head fasteners! Looks like it's going to dry out here today, I think I'll give the 670 a go and see how it stacks up.

MERR6267

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice score.

I picked up a similar deal a few years ago. Mine had no compression due to a smeared piston and stuck ring, but a new ring and some scotch brite got her going again. Mine was a "Cutters' Edge" fire saw and had the same "no-tooth" felling/bucking bumpers that yours does. (I replaced them with normal ones)

Here's a quick video of it and my 372xp on the same log with the same bar/chain. Both were muffler modded and base gasket deleted. I'd have tested on some larger wood, but didn't have any at the time.

It resides with my father-in-law now and he's always amazed at how it screams in larger wood.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You won't like it there junk I'll dispose of it for ya I might just be saving you life.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You won't like it there junk I'll dispose of it for ya I might just be saving you life.
Yea I bet you would take it! There's one on my local Craigslist I have been eyeing up

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea I bet you would take it! There's one on my local Craigslist I have been eyeing up
There qas a clean looking west coast 630 on AS for $200 a whil back I thought about but passed but now I got a big brother to play with too20170521_193612.jpg

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I gave her a go this evening. Checked the carb setting it was set to a half turn on both low and high. It sounded alright, but I set them to 1 turn out and the saw died. Tuning by ear it seems a bit over half turn on the low side and 1/2 on the high is about where it should be. 4 strokes out of the wood and then cleans up. Never had to turn screws in like that. Thoughts? It ran good, the other thing I noticed is exhaust is leaking out the holes that attach the muffler to the body. I don't find any exhaust gaskets, it just goes cylinder, heat shield, muffler. Should there be gaskets or has the muffler flailed? Overall seems like a nice saw. Ran it in some 20" oak and once I remembered to knock the rakers down it pulled pretty well. Problem is, the last saw I ran in that log a week ago was a healthy red lever 044, not exactly a fair comparison.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I gave her a go this evening. Checked the carb setting it was set to a half turn on both low and high. It sounded alright, but I set them to 1 turn out and the saw died. Tuning by ear it seems a bit over half turn on the low side and 1/2 on the high is about where it should be. 4 strokes out of the wood and then cleans up. Never had to turn screws in like that. Thoughts? It ran good, the other thing I noticed is exhaust is leaking out the holes that attach the muffler to the body. I don't find any exhaust gaskets, it just goes cylinder, heat shield, muffler. Should there be gaskets or has the muffler flailed? Overall seems like a nice saw. Ran it in some 20" oak and once I remembered to knock the rakers down it pulled pretty well. Problem is, the last saw I ran in that log a week ago was a healthy red lever 044, not exactly a fair comparison.
Only 3cc difference they should be really close

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 670 champ if I remember right is about 3/4 turn out from bottom. I know it's less than a full turn. as long as it goes back to idle and not running all over the place. You should be ok.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My somewhat stock ones run real close to 1 1/8 on high and about 7/8 -1 on the low. So yours are running at about 1/2 turn on both?

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven’t ran the Saw in a bit, but yes the tune sounds and acts correct at about 1/2 turn out on both low and high.

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven’t really thought about it. Pm me if you’re interested.