High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Jonsered 510SP revival

iamduck82

Active OPE Member
Local time
7:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I recently got back into off the beaten path camping. My dad passed down his trusty chainsaw for dealing with fallen trees, and gathering firewood. Its been sitting for years and the last person to use it was my dads now ex.... she wasn't nice to it.

things i know it needs:
Chain

Things is might need:
possibly Bar
Carb Rebuild/Cleaning

questions i have for the masses.

1. Bar/chain: the saw still has its original 15" bar with 0.325/.050/64 chain.
  • Should i consider swapping the bar and chain out for a narrow kerf and a lighter bar?
  • Whats a good replacement chain for the stock bar? (i need more than brand.... spent 3 hours filtering through Oregon, Stihl and Husquavarna trying to determine what i need)
2. Carb Rebuild/Cleaning

• I've rebuilt motorcycle carbs before but finding parts for this thing hasn't been the easiest.... suggestions?
the issues i struggle with is i over think things and i'm a performance junkie. its a real sickness.... all i need is a good camp saw that can reliably operate and not need to be sharpened too frequently.

thank you in advance....

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If piston & cylinder look good and saw will run as should, then it will have good torque compared to similar size current saws. The 510, 520, 525 run same piston cylinder and best setup generally 8 tooth .325 pitch with 15 or 16 inch bar. With power they produce, the narrow kerf setup would be no advantage performance wise (regular chisel chain would get the most performance out of those saws). I normally run 16 inch .325, 8 tooth, chisel chain. This is a nice light setup with very good speed and plenty of torque. However, you could try running a narrow kerf bar with regular chisel chain and get the setup even lighter. On these saws watch method of pulling starter rope on them as the 3 bolt starter housing can be prone to give problems staying in place. The 510 and first couple years of production of 520 had 3 bolt starters. Last couple years of 520 went to 4 bolt starter housing. The 525's all had 4 bolt starter housing or at least what I have seen. Another thing to possibly watch for is where impulse line connects to carb. The bend in line at this point can sometimes stop impulse with line collapsing. This can be prevented if necessary by putting a small coil spring inside line or on outside of line at this point.

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just rebuilt one that needed seals.

Runs, but races, I suspect might need a new fuel filter, tank is pretty grungy inside.

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stock KS cylinder is pretty nice on these.
Here are the parts diagrams

Attachments

• JONI1984_AAaa_I8400003_ (1).pdf
    287.3 KB · Views: 11