High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Jonsered 2159 - My Sons First Rebuild. She Lives!!!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
4:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 14 year old son has been wanting to spend his money on a cell phone or other electronic device lately. That all changed when I let him run my 372 a week ago and he has since been asking me for a trip to the saw junk pile at our local dealer.

Playing the responsible dad I convinced him that a 357 or 359 would be a better Saw to learn with. Plenty of power and reasonably nimble as far as weight.

So we head to the “junk” pile and what do we find but this 99% complete 2159. It needs all the normal updates such as intake clamp and carb kit, but overall it’s a solid builder. Probably a better start than I’ve had on any saw I’ve brought back to life from that pile.

All parts are on order and I’ll get pics and update this thread as we go through it together, but he’ll be doing the work with me guiding him along the way.

He has already cleaned it up pretty good, we’ll be starting the tear down tomorrow evening.

BFD12BC1-3A78-4895-8108-48230B3D894E.jpeg 3523D963-7FCD-4732-9EA4-C349EF0EDF91.jpeg

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a hell of a first saw, plenty capable. Honestly, most of us could get by with a 357. My first saw was a clapped out stihl 041.
100% agree with ya on that. My 357 would take care of all my saw needs and ask for more. Hoping this Saw will last him well into adulthood.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 14 year old son has been wanting to spend his money on a cell phone or other electronic device lately. That all changed when I let him run my 372 a week ago and he has since been asking me for a trip to the saw junk pile at our local dealer.

Playing the responsible dad I convinced him that a 357 or 359 would be a better Saw to learn with. Plenty of power and reasonably nimble as far as weight.

So we head to the “junk” pile and what do we find but this 99% complete 2159. It needs all the normal updates such as intake clamp and carb kit, but overall it’s a solid builder. Probably a better start than I’ve had on any saw I’ve brought back to life from that pile.

All parts are on order and I’ll get pics and update this thread as we go through it together, but he’ll be doing the work with me guiding him along the way.

He has already cleaned it up pretty good, we’ll be starting the tear down tomorrow evening.

View attachment 121865 View attachment 121866

Sweet! It even came with a Total, score!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First experience sets the standard for all that comes after that. That said, 357 sets that standard pretty high.

Yeah I’ve already set a pretty high standard since letting him run my ported saws. I think he’s getting a weeeee bit spoiled..lol! The only one I haven’t let him run yet is the 394.

That's a lot better than the mid 70's McCulloch 610 my Dad handed me! But, that was back in the early 80's.

All Metal saws build character, and forearms...lol!

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great thread!
Don’t hold back, hand him he 394.
@David Young ’s son ran my China build off 660 yesterday like a boss.
Wish I had it on video, also wish I had it on video when he dumped a half gallon of chips out of his boot.

Edit-
It is on video at 6:51:45

Last edited:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rodney helped get my son into saw work. He gave Andrew a clapped out 55 Rancher, after that it was on! Ended up flipping 2 55’s to pay for porting on a 365 special I gave him for all his help w firewood. He’s pretty proficient working on the basics (everything but splitting cases). With about a month to go before his 18th, all he wants to cut is square logs. :rolleyes:
So inquiring minds want to know, is he gonna muff mod it?:headbang:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rodney helped get my son into saw work. He gave Andrew a clapped out 55 Rancher, after that it was on! Ended up flipping 2 55’s to pay for porting on a 365 special I gave him for all his help w firewood. He’s pretty proficient working on the basics (everything but splitting cases). With about a month to go before his 18th, all he wants to cut is square logs. :rolleyes:
So inquiring minds want to know, is he gonna muff mod it?:headbang:
Not just yes but HELL YES! Grabbed a Nice used catalyst muffler for it today which of course makes the MM mandatory.

He has already stripped it down to the case assembly then put it back together twice...lol! I think he’s excited.

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great thread!
Don’t hold back, hand him he 394.
@David Young ’s son ran my China build off 660 yesterday like a boss.
Wish I had it on video, also wish I had it on video when he dumped a half gallon of chips out of his boot.

Edit-
It is on video at 6:51:45

Very cool to see a young man handling a Saw like that. My boy will be gettin trigger time on my 394 soon, but not before I get a good sized log on my landing so he can cut with it for more than a few seconds.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice that your teaching your son the saw basics and away
from all the electronic devises we have today. Fun to learn
some of what goes on outside in this world. I'm sure he will
do fine with his saw build and a great saw to start on.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well said.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Josh, did you mean to type that you got a used NON cat muffler? If not, I can donate a decent non-cat muffler to this project. Modding a Cat can open it up, but unless you totally gut it the cat deal is still in there and will generate a lot of unwanted heat. And if you are cutting the insides you don't want to be breathing any of it either.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Josh, did you mean to type that you got a used NON cat muffler? If not, I can donate a decent non-cat muffler to this project. Modding a Cat can open it up, but unless you totally gut it the cat deal is still in there and will generate a lot of unwanted heat. And if you are cutting the insides you don't want to be breathing any of it either.
Unfortunately It wasn’t a typo Bob, the only good condition muffler I could find for him was a CAT type. That would be great if you had a non-cat I can buy from you. Would be yet another conversation I can have with Austin about heat and the different parts you can get.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really enjoy it and seize every opportunity I can to get my boys to “unplug”. It’s not always easy to get their attention despite my constant prodding but once in a while they really engage.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately It wasn’t a typo Bob, the only good condition muffler I could find for him was a CAT type. That would be great if you had a non-cat I can buy from you. Would be yet another conversation I can have with Austin about heat and the different parts you can get.

I wasn't clear on that post cause the saw in the pic has a muffler on it. We don't want a cat muff on the boy's first saw, so I'll get one up to you. Wish I knew or I'd have brought it up to Walt's Sunday. :)