John Deere LX277 transaxle no go

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good idea, thanks. Speaking of checking oil, every Tecumseh I've owned has demanded a very specific procedure about getting an accurate reading on the oil. Park it absolutely level, wipe dry the entire dipstick. Thread it back in and try to keep the stick in the center of the tube as much as possible. Otherwise, it's going to show way under or over full.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even though i still have a HH120 on the Sears ST12 and a VH100 on an old 36" Bunton and a MH60 on a tiller i still call them Trashcumseh. I still keep a good supply of the old carb kits for Tecumseh engines. If i had a dime for every one that came in surging and won't idle..............yada yada yada.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know what's funny is the Chicom Tecumseh copies usually do pretty good. My FIL has a push mower with the MTD Powermore version and I am shocked at how well it has held up. As in, his gas can has no lid on the spout and is always filled with cheap E10. The only time the oil gets changed is when I do it. Lord knows how many rocks and immovable objects the blade has hit. And yet, more often than not it starts on the first pull and never surges or dies.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am seeing more and more of the chicom Honda clones. Hate to say it but they do just fine. Biggest problem is the plating on the carb float bowls corrodes bad with E10 if it sets with fuel in it. Just like a real Honda. And parts are dirt cheap. Price an OEM Honda carb vs a China Honda carb.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Parts for the Powermore engines are pretty high, as much or more than B&S. What's even more funny is, the engines themselves are pricey if you buy them as replacement units.