I've never seen a "W" model husqvarna

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only info I've found for a "w" model husky is they are for the west coast. Full wrap handle and bigger dual dawgs. This one is a 268 but they probably made most of the pro saws of that era with a "w" too. I highly doubt the 268 was the only west coast. Anyone with more info?

Attachments

• 0404171459a.jpg
    0404171459a.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 56

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've run a 372 xpw before, Great saw. I didnt realize it was a "W". My old boss gave one away a few months ago. It belonged to his brother, my friend, who passed away. He gave it to his B.I.L.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the 3 series the 365, 372, 385, 390, and 395 all had W versions with full Wrap handles and larger dogs. They also usually came with high top filter covers and larger HD style filters. In the 5 series you can get the 562, & 575/576 outfitted as W versions.

The wrap handle allows you to use the saw to cut from either side of the tree without back barring when felling. It's a requirement in a lot of Canadian timber outfits to have on any saw with a bar longer than 20". Mostly it's useful because on steep hills you might only have one safe side to cut from. The larger dogs are more useful on the shag bark pine that are indigenous to the PNW. They are mostly for looks if you're on the east coast and mostly cut hard wood. The downside to them is you lose 1-2" of bar length.

Husqvarna also has "G" models, these come with heated handles and (sometimes) carb heaters. They are more popular if you do cold weather work or live farther north.

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the 3 series the 365, 372, 385, 390, and 395 all had W versions with full Wrap handles and larger dogs. They also usually came with high top filter covers and larger HD style filters. In the 5 series you can get the 562, & 575/576 outfitted as W versions.

The wrap handle allows you to use the saw to cut from either side of the tree without back barring when felling. It's a requirement in a lot of Canadian timber outfits to have on any saw with a bar longer than 20". Mostly it's useful because on steep hills you might only have one safe side to cut from. The larger dogs are more useful on the shag bark pine that are indigenous to the PNW. They are mostly for looks if you're on the east coast and mostly cut hard wood. The downside to them is you lose 1-2" of bar length.

Husqvarna also has "G" models, these come with heated handles and (sometimes) carb heaters. They are more popular if you do cold weather work or live farther north.
So in the 2 series would it have been the same options? My friend picked up a 262xpg carcass at the same place. I've never seen a "G" before. I know g is for heated front handle just never saw one before.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So in the 2 series would it have been the same options? My friend picked up a 262xpg carcass at the same place. I've never seen a "G" before. I know g is for heated front handle just never saw one before.

The 2 series would be very similar to the 3 series. I'd guess the 262, 266, 272, 288, 298 would all have W options available back when they were selling, but that was my more my father's time than mine so I can't say for certain. In general, it seems Husky's pro line on large mount saws greater than 60cc offer W versions.

As for the G model, lucky find; they are more rare. Hopefully the carcass has useable parts. The workshop manual shows how to diagnose the electrical components to test them. You'll need to make sure the inductive generator behind the flywheel is sending current to the resistive element in the handle, and that the resistance is high enough to offload the electrical load as heat.

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 2 series would be very similar to the 3 series. I'd guess the 262, 266, 272, 288, 298 would all have W options available back when they were selling, but that was my more my father's time than mine so I can't say for certain. In general, it seems Husky's pro line on large mount saws greater than 60cc offer W versions.

As for the G model, lucky find; they are more rare. Hopefully the carcass has useable parts. The workshop manual shows how to diagnose the electrical components to test them. You'll need to make sure the inductive generator behind the flywheel is sending current to the resistive element in the handle, and that the resistance is high enough to offload the electrical load as heat.
Thanks for the 2 series info. Thats what i was lookin for. The 1 and 2 series saws are from my dads era also.
Matts 262 g is a carcass. No side or top plastics or top handle. Its got the flywheel on it so hopefuly it still has the generater. Finding a heated top handle might be a chore.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the 2 series info. Thats what i was lookin for. The 1 and 2 series saws are from my dads era also.
Matts 262 g is a carcass. No side or top plastics or top handle. Its got the flywheel on it so hopefuly it still has the generater. Finding a heated top handle might be a chore.

http://www.sawagain.com/husqvarna-257-262-xp-front-handle-bar-oem-503540103/

http://opeforum.com/threads/xpg-front-handle-bar-whats-inside.2096/

http://opeforum.com/threads/installing-new-rubber-on-handlebar.1956/