High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

It's the little things......

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
3:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Wow Randy, no wonder everyone recommends the 7910 piston, I have a showdown later today with a 7900 that is getting a new oem 7910 P&C.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow Randy, no wonder everyone recommends the 7910 piston, I have a showdown later today with a 7900 that is getting a new oem 7910 P&C.

I wish they would have left the ring locating pin in the same place......but for some reason they put it over next to the transfer port.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So with the lighter and "None Windowed" piston (like iv seen inside the 5105 ) any change in the cylinder ?
We have this situation with only being able to get 1 design of Meteor piston (none windowed) for 242 xp where they were windowed pistons from factory.
Be interested how/if Dolmar have been able to put a slab side in if they haven't made cylinder changes. Whada you think ?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So with the lighter and "None Windowed" piston (like iv seen inside the 5105 ) any change in the cylinder ?
We have this situation with only being able to get 1 design of Meteor piston (none windowed) for 242 xp where they were windowed pistons from factory.
Be interested how/if Dolmar have been able to put a slab side in if they haven't made cylinder changes. Whada you think ?

The jugs are the same design.......with the exception of the exhaust port (because of the muffler change) and the port widths. The way it feeds from the bottom is the same. The non-windowed piston seems to be to provide more primary compression, and better direction to the transfer charge.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would have to think a 7910 piston swap would make a saw feel like it has a better throttle reaponse.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Darn, that sucks about the ring pin location. Other than that it's a great piston design, light and strong.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's my complaint on the piston with the ring ends. I've had good luck with the windowed pistons though.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And in your reply I can tell that you are likely doing the same thing I am on certain saws. Deepening the pocket and widening toward the exhaust when needed.

Yup, a lot of work under the bridge.

I'd still like to see a better ring pin location... they scare me when they are that close to the transfer port.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The 7900/7910 transfers are bottom fed so not as dependent on the piston windows. Not sure why they used the earlier design.

The 242 however is side fed so the windows play a much bigger role. If you're stuck with using the non windowed piston it might help to drag/grind the 242 lowers down as much as the base/skirt allows.