High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Is this sharpening vid any good?

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
9:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm definitely in the early days of acquiring chain sharpening experience, and now and again have a quick look at youtube, to see if there's anything useful on there.

I just come across this one:

What do people reckon? He talks about a "boat" technique. Guy admits that he rants a little, but I think that he raises one or two decent points.

Tell me what y'all think.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
His boat technique seems to be his way of removing material more quickly, and he finishes the tooth with some straight passes.
I think guys should just view the targeted end result that is desired, and know what that is, and develope their own method.

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If you’re new to filing, that video might not help.
I like Billy Ray, but he has been doing this for a long time, he makes it look easy.
If you’re just learning, I’d be more focused on keeping the angles correct.

Not a bad video, just not for beginners in my opinion.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you’re new to filing, that video might not help.
I like Billy Ray, but he has been doing this for a long time, he makes it look easy.
If you’re just learning, I’d be more focused on keeping the angles correct.

Not a bad video, just not for beginners in my opinion.
I know what you're saying Travis. I'm definitely improving my sharpening skills, i.e. I can keep a chain basically cutting throughout it's lifetime, especially after figuring what the rakers are all about.

I guess that what I wanna pick up, is getting all the right edges sharp, and getting it razor sharp.

At least from what the guys here seem to imply - the boat technique he uses is basically on the money.

Last edited:

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When you think about what his actual message is about, it's about getting deep enough with the file into the gullet of the tooth so that your hook angle is proper.

You can have a sharp chain but a bad hook angle and the chain will cut like crap.

Doesn't really matter how you get there but if you have a chain that was filed poorly and the person let the file ride up the tooth and there is no hook then you really need to get aggressive in the bottom of the tooth to get the file lower to get proper hook. The saw will self feed with a good hook angle and sharp cutter with the right raker height.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When you think about what his actual message is about, it's about getting deep enough with the file into the gullet of the tooth so that your hook angle is proper.
Definitely. The guy seems to nail it.

What I like about that vid, over a lot of other youtubes, was right after the sharpen, he takes the saw away and demos a couple cuts. Don't think he could have fooled anyone there.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't take any advice from someone who drags the file backwards in contact with the tooth. There's plenty of knowledgeable guys here to give you better help.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I wouldn't take any advice from someone who drags the file backwards in contact with the tooth. There's plenty of knowledgeable guys here to give you better help.
No offense to those guys or yourself but proof is in the results. Dragging the file back is sloppy but it doesn't affect the tooth geometry or how the tooth cuts. Worst case is it dulls the file. While I make attempts to not drag it on the back stroke I don't get overly anal and use a robotic motion to make sure I don't back drag it 100% of every stroke. :nusenuse:

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Definitely. The guy seems to nail it.

What I like about that vid, over a lot of other youtubes, was right after the sharpen, he takes the saw away and demos a couple cuts. Don't think he could have fooled anyone there.
Gullet maintenance is even more important with square filed or ground chain because the file leaves a lot more material in the gullet. The gullet gives room for the chip. You don't want this.
longgullet5.jpg images.jpeg

If you let the file ride high then you lose the hook and you'll have no gullet for the chip to go.
teaser-saegeketten-schaerfen-schaerfen-feile-fuehren-4-zoom_rdax_85.jpg
You can see how even a properly filed tooth leaves material down in the gullet. Billy is suggesting you remove that to maximize the space for chips.

Last edited:

junkman

Crush it
Local time
1:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Billy learned how do stuff fast when at work from the old timers ,i would trust them over any internet saw cookie cutters on making a chain sharp .Dragging the file is just his way of keeping an even motion going for speed ,cleaning the gullet and sharpen at the same time .He knows how a chain works which is important when you sharpen .

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone has their own sharpening styles. Stick to whatever works for you. If it doesn't, then make some changes until the chain works. [emoji106]
The guy is obviously a professional.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No offense to those guys or yourself but proof is in the results. Dragging the file back is sloppy but it doesn't affect the tooth geometry or how the tooth cuts. Worst case is it dulls the file. While I make attempts to not drag it on the back stroke I don't get overly anal and use a robotic motion to make sure I don't back drag it 100% of every stroke. :nusenuse:
None taken. I'm sure there is lots of valuable info within. I guess I have a pet peeve with the backdraw. Kinda like the nails on a chalkboard for some.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
3:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No matter how you slice and dice his technique, his message of "get the gullet" rings true for all users. For people that don't know it can be a huge game changer for them.