Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got nervous on a visit to the Empire State Building a few years ago. Had my BM in my pocket and noticed we had to walk through metal detector. Luckily I was able to check it in at the desk and got it back as we left. There's no way I would have chose the view for a few minutes over my blade. :shakehead:

That's one thing I like about that little Milwaukee knife I got. It I lose it I'm out like 10 bucks.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of my life I've had a pocket knife . At the moment it's a Case XX carbon steel stockman style large .If I wanted too I could hone it up so you could shave with it . I've got Buck,Old Timer Uncle Henry and other stainless steel knives but none will take the edge like carbon steel . I think the only reason they went to stainless is because they don't rust .
The Buck 4" rose wood has a blade thick enough you could use it for a pry bar .Gives rise to the logo of hammering it through a bolt .Takes a month of Sundays to get an edge though . It might be good for field dressing a deer but not a good tool for much else .

Some of the higher end new stainless alloys come pretty close to the qualities of good carbon steel. I used to carry a high carbon pocket knife but have switched to a few that are D2 steel. I steel and stoop my carry knives every day. Life's to short to carry a dull knife. Even though the new steels are very good they still don't equal a good old high carbon blade.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Kershaw Blur with s30v steel & I don't see it being any better than some of the common stainless blades I have, and I'm not wild about stainless either.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems my Spyderco S30v is harder steel than the Benchmade S30v. The benchmade has chipped already and the Spyderco never has. Both are hard steel and take a little more work to get razor sharp but will hold an edge forever seems like

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems my Spyderco S30v is harder steel than the Benchmade S30v. The benchmade has chipped already and the Spyderco never has. Both are hard steel and take a little more work to get razor sharp but will hold an edge forever seems like

Some of the blade forums have chatter about some of the D2 and S30v blades chipping and breaking. Consensus seems to believe it boils down to hardening and tempering when the steels first hit the market. Looks like most mfgrs has figured it out now. Got a few knives in D2 with no chipping probs. May save up the pennies and get me a blade in S30v. Yup always need just one more knife.....or gun...or flashlight...or chainsaw......or ???

Hi. My name is Larry and I am an addict.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just about to ask about buck. I carry a 174most days. It’s the only one of the half dozen I own that is small enough. My others are too thick or fat to slip my hand in my pocket

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like a three blade stockman style myself .You can skin a raccoon, whittle a tent stake or castrate a pig .The pig isn't too fond of it though .Works pretty good at digging the grease from under your finger nails too .

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In one part of our area a pocket knife was known as "_______ boxing gloves"
The name has been left out to protect the reputation of otherwise peaceful and law abiding citizens. :cool:

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like a three blade stockman style myself .You can skin a raccoon, whittle a tent stake or castrate a pig .The pig isn't too fond of it though .Works pretty good at digging the grease from under your finger nails too .
The skinning blade on my old Camillus two blade was worn down to a point before I bought a new Buck of the same design, (broke the blade off that one) then got a Chicago Cutlery (same design), I still have a new one of those types in my knife box, don't remember the brand.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forgot to take a razor knife out of my pocket before a football game. Hid it in a planter but it was gone when I left. Car was parked a mile away
I did the same at a hockey game but i took back out to car. It was my dads multitool and i didnt wanna chance loosing it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is my pocket knife i have on me all the time. Nothing fancy but nice and lite.
1e96c4dc4d3b77bdc6ea45670dfcd076.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I carry a Leatherman everywhere. It was originally issued to me in Iraq in 2005, has been back to Leatherman 4 times for repair; needs to go again as I broke off part of the needle nose. I use it at least 10 times a day.

I also carry one of several Benchmades I have. One that is for fancy occasions I got from my Marines when I ran a security team. They had my name laser etched on the blade, has a nice little padded leather money clip it fits into.

image.jpg

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I carry a Leatherman everywhere. It was originally issued to me in Iraq in 2005, has been back to Leatherman 4 times for repair; needs to go again as I broke off part of the needle nose. I use it at least 10 times a day.

I also carry one of several Benchmades I have. One that is for fancy occasions I got from my Marines when I ran a security team. They had my name laser etched on the blade, has a nice little padded leather money clip it fits into.

View attachment 174637
Oh yeah, can't live without my leatherman wave. I think I have two that got abused and broke 1/2 the needle nose off.