Introduction and comment rather than a question

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello to everyone, I am Bob and am in the Chicagoland Illinois area yet I call Central Tennessee home. My wife and I visit family there every June.

I am posting this here because there does not appear to be Introduce Yourself thread. If I would recommend anything at this point, this would be it. If I missed it and there is one, please feel free to move this.

When I came to this forum I was looking for information on a Mall 12a I just picked up for a future build. Now I am a real newbie with chainsaws. Not to say I am not a mechanic but I have never gotten into chainsaws until last year when my uncle in Tennessee asked me to look at Grandpa’s chainsaw that had been sitting for 20+ years... I will return to that story later.

What An Assume Forum and an even more Unbelievable Group of People!! :applaudit:

First I ran across the 2017 MMWS GTG Box Saw Build Off. After reading all the posts (and help from others in each post) I was hooked!! 3 days later :smash2: and I am trying my best to keep up with all the new posts in each one of the 22 threads.

From the newbies to the experienced builders all working towards one of 3 goals and sharing their experiences has helped even me! I have learned so much just reading all this that it will help me with my next chainsaw project.

@Mastermind If there is going to be 2018 Box Saw Build, Please sign me up for 2! This is something I have to be part of. :thumbup:

Next I find the thread Rebuilding The JMS 064. Really!! :chupi:
The amount of commitment, dedication, respect, and overall friendship shown here is something everyone on this board has to be Very Proud Of. In all my years I have never witnessed this to this extreme. As a matter of fact, most families are not this dedicated and respectful of each other.

Then there is The “Broken046”. Once again I am blown away by everyone. :angel2:

Are you sure this is not a Deep Hidden Motorcycle Family? Sure looks like it from my experiences within the community for 30 years!

@Mastermind, I understand and truly respect the “Derogatory Language” thread. That shows a lot about the management of this forum. Personally (and I am not Asian), being a Honda rider, I have been called a Rice Rider more times than I can count. But those same riders (Friends of not) all know that I will be More than happy to Jump their Dead bikes when the time comes.

Oh, and I cannot leave out the “no so pros” thread!!! LMAO!!

I am a member of 3 other boards and those members have been instrumental in assisting me with a chainsaw project over the last year.

As a result I have now come to realize I enjoy the hunt, repair, and painting of old chainsaws.

For those that know me from the other sites, I cannot thank you enough and look forward to continuing our conversations and meeting new people.

Last year in June (2016), my uncle Johnnie asked me to look at a Craftsman chainsaw that belonged to my grandfather and was found in a storage locker were it had been for 20 or so years.

A quick look at it and I realized this saw was going to need a Lot of work and parts so I brought it home to Chicagoland with me.

As we were talking about what it needed, I laughingly asked him if he wanted it painted....

Being a retired Army Ranger he told me Army Green could be nice... I asked him "what? no Camo" LOL

He said no Camo...

Once I got the saw home and apart, the scope of how bad it really was came to light. As a result I ended up discovering it actually was a Homelite 330.

With that info I did the on-line research and started ordering parts..

By December I had a running (ugly) chainsaw. Being who I am (yes I have the need to stir the pot), I decided I Was going to paint it Camo.

Come January Johnnie had his own project going on and was using some new Flat Black paint he really loved and texted me saying that if I had not painted the chainsaw, he would like it done in this black.... I ignored the text message and moved on.

Here is what I started with.... (Craftsman Pro)
Craftsman Chainsaw 01.jpg

After a lot of degreasing, sanding, and the start of premiering.. (I have since purchased a Blast Box)
Craftsman Chainsaw 03.jpg

First assembly after all parts was sprayed with basecoat.
Craftsman Chainsaw 04.jpg

Now what Johnnie did not realize when I asked if he wanted Camo was that I had a completely different Camo idea in my head.

Here is the saw fully assembled without the clear coat...
Craftsman Chainsaw 06.jpg

This last June (2017) I delivered the saw to Johnnie during our yearly trip to Tennessee.
Completed and 7 coats of clear.
Craftsman Chainsaw 10.jpg

When Johnnie opened the New Case for this saw, the only words that came out of his mouth were "What The He___ , Oh My God I Love This"

Now I am not sure if he is actually going to use this or hang it above the mantel in the living room!!

This year I came home with an even Older Homelite EZ from 1957 that also belonged to my Grandfather.

Needless to say, I have started ordering parts and I will most likely keep this one.

I would have posted more pictures but there seems to be a limit of 5.

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Guys...
Seeing he is a retired Army Ranger, I just had to go there.
Besides, we were raised like bothers. We are 1 year apart LOL

I cannot say to many times how great this site and people are!

When I get a little more time over the winter, I will be starting on this one and it will be a 100% rebuild so finding this site is a Great Surprise!!

Homelite EZ 01.JPG Homelite EZ 02.JPG Homelite EZ 03.JPG

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
3:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello to everyone, I am Bob and am in the Chicagoland Illinois area yet I call Central Tennessee home. My wife and I visit family there every June.

I am posting this here because there does not appear to be Introduce Yourself thread. If I would recommend anything at this point, this would be it. If I missed it and there is one, please feel free to move this.

When I came to this forum I was looking for information on a Mall 12a I just picked up for a future build. Now I am a real newbie with chainsaws. Not to say I am not a mechanic but I have never gotten into chainsaws until last year when my uncle in Tennessee asked me to look at Grandpa’s chainsaw that had been sitting for 20+ years... I will return to that story later.

What An Assume Forum and an even more Unbelievable Group of People!! :applaudit:

First I ran across the 2017 MMWS GTG Box Saw Build Off. After reading all the posts (and help from others in each post) I was hooked!! 3 days later :smash2: and I am trying my best to keep up with all the new posts in each one of the 22 threads.

From the newbies to the experienced builders all working towards one of 3 goals and sharing their experiences has helped even me! I have learned so much just reading all this that it will help me with my next chainsaw project.

@Mastermind If there is going to be 2018 Box Saw Build, Please sign me up for 2! This is something I have to be part of. :thumbup:

Next I find the thread Rebuilding The JMS 064. Really!! :chupi:
The amount of commitment, dedication, respect, and overall friendship shown here is something everyone on this board has to be Very Proud Of. In all my years I have never witnessed this to this extreme. As a matter of fact, most families are not this dedicated and respectful of each other.

Then there is The “Broken046”. Once again I am blown away by everyone. :angel2:

Are you sure this is not a Deep Hidden Motorcycle Family? Sure looks like it from my experiences within the community for 30 years!

@Mastermind, I understand and truly respect the “Derogatory Language” thread. That shows a lot about the management of this forum. Personally (and I am not Asian), being a Honda rider, I have been called a Rice Rider more times than I can count. But those same riders (Friends of not) all know that I will be More than happy to Jump their Dead bikes when the time comes.

Oh, and I cannot leave out the “no so pros” thread!!! LMAO!!

I am a member of 3 other boards and those members have been instrumental in assisting me with a chainsaw project over the last year.

As a result I have now come to realize I enjoy the hunt, repair, and painting of old chainsaws.

For those that know me from the other sites, I cannot thank you enough and look forward to continuing our conversations and meeting new people.

Last year in June (2016), my uncle Johnnie asked me to look at a Craftsman chainsaw that belonged to my grandfather and was found in a storage locker were it had been for 20 or so years.

A quick look at it and I realized this saw was going to need a Lot of work and parts so I brought it home to Chicagoland with me.

As we were talking about what it needed, I laughingly asked him if he wanted it painted....

Being a retired Army Ranger he told me Army Green could be nice... I asked him "what? no Camo" LOL

He said no Camo...

Once I got the saw home and apart, the scope of how bad it really was came to light. As a result I ended up discovering it actually was a Homelite 330.

With that info I did the on-line research and started ordering parts..

By December I had a running (ugly) chainsaw. Being who I am (yes I have the need to stir the pot), I decided I Was going to paint it Camo.

Come January Johnnie had his own project going on and was using some new Flat Black paint he really loved and texted me saying that if I had not painted the chainsaw, he would like it done in this black.... I ignored the text message and moved on.

Here is what I started with.... (Craftsman Pro)
View attachment 81406

After a lot of degreasing, sanding, and the start of premiering.. (I have since purchased a Blast Box)
View attachment 81407

First assembly after all parts was sprayed with basecoat.
View attachment 81408

Now what Johnnie did not realize when I asked if he wanted Camo was that I had a completely different Camo idea in my head.

Here is the saw fully assembled without the clear coat...
View attachment 81409

This last June (2017) I delivered the saw to Johnnie during our yearly trip to Tennessee.
Completed and 7 coats of clear.
View attachment 81410

When Johnnie opened the New Case for this saw, the only words that came out of his mouth were "What The He___ , Oh My God I Love This"

Now I am not sure if he is actually going to use this or hang it above the mantel in the living room!!

This year I came home with an even Older Homelite EZ from 1957 that also belonged to my Grandfather.

Needless to say, I have started ordering parts and I will most likely keep this one.

I would have posted more pictures but there seems to be a limit of 5.
Welcome to the site.
The homelite 330s are actually good saw's.
The intake boot is usually torn take a pic of the fuel and oil line routing.
And a carb kit they are good lightweight firewood saw's with decent torque.
I just traded one for a 1930s Kelly's jersy head axe.
Stop by the not so pros there is always someone hanging out there.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the site.
The homelite 330s are actually good saw's.
The intake boot is usually torn take a pic of the fuel and oil line routing.
And a carb kit they are good lightweight firewood saw's with decent torque.
I just traded one for a 1930s Kelly's jersy head axe.
Stop by the not so pros there is always someone hanging out there.
I'm a dave.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeh,, +1 to the op,

I arrived here after looking to fix a 660 oiler problem. And after scouting a few threads, I found the box build off aka rice burners... It's the porting numbers I like. And I come back most days for the next lot of info, banta, and buddy hugs,

I don't post too much, I just read and learn. Your never to old to learn.

I can honestly say this is good group of guys.

Cheers.

Cigmaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome aboard Mr. Bob.

RoyM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I came across this site today, it looked good so decided to join you. I am a retired outdoor power equipment technician, sounds so much better than small engine mechanic lol but still like to tinker and fix my own stuff. The garage is starting to get over run with older chainsaws mostly Homelites and IEL's, the dang things breed like cats. I am looking forward to sharing my experiences and learning from yours. I figure if I get through a day without learning something I am either dead or not paying attention.

Cigmaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I came across this site today, it looked good so decided to join you. I am a retired outdoor power equipment technician, sounds so much better than small engine mechanic lol but still like to tinker and fix my own stuff. The garage is starting to get over run with older chainsaws mostly Homelites and IEL's, the dang things breed like cats. I am looking forward to sharing my experiences and learning from yours. I figure if I get through a day without learning something I am either dead or not paying attention.

Welcome aboard @RoyM. Good having another member.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Welcome to OPE Roy.