High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Intelli carbs

three feathers

OPE Member
Local time
12:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
All the saw I have ever owned have had adjustable carbs on them. I was looking for a new saw in the 70cc class and offerings from Stihl and most from Husqvarna have auto tune carbs on them. What I need to know is how do they hold up and if I use a 40/1 mix, will the auto tune work for this? As always, thanks for the information.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
M-Tronic & Auto Tune generally work just fine, and you will not have a problem with 40:1. Hoever, the Stihl 461 still has a manual adjusting carb if that is what you are looking for. Just pull the limiters if you do any mods (to the muffler, etc).

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI, what Stihl calls "Intellicarb", like on the 461, is not computer controlled. The computer controlled carbs are on M-Tronic (Stihl) and Auto Tune (Husky) saws. You can not adjust them with a screw driver.
Stihl Intellicarb has the snorkel on the carb that fits into the air filter to help compensate for a dirty air filter, correct?

darkimpulse

Firewood Hack
Local time
2:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been using a Husqvarna 555 Autotune for just over a year and a half. Have gone to 33 to 1 with no issues. Run at 50 to 1 Most of the time with Husqvarna two stroke oil.

My manual actually states:
1:50 (2%) with HUSQVARNA two-stroke oil which is JASO FD or ISO EGD (High grade with all the detergents etc)
1:33 (3%) with oils class JASO FB or ISO EGB formulated for air-cooled, two-stroke engines. (Low grade two stroke oil)

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl Intellicarb has the snorkel on the carb that fits into the air filter to help compensate for a dirty air filter, correct?

I don't know why they call it 'Intelli carb' as it seems it should be really called 'stupid filter'. The reason they had to put the compensator on the metering system was because the filter didn't flow enough - let alone when it was dirty. Big deal, make the mixture leaner as the filter clogged - hello, it is AIR that is the hard part to get in the engine. Why not design a better AIR FILTER, that way the engine will make better power. - Marketing, you got to love it - 'intelli' like, you know, this is an intelligent design.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think most of the Intellicarb saws had HD-2 filters, which I think are about the best in the industry. But the manufacturer can not make someone clean their filter on a timely basis. FYI, the air that goes into the snorkel comes through the same filter.

Yes, the intellicarb has the snorkel, but will work with the snorkel removed (if you have the right size plate). I've never heard anyone complain that a Intellicarb does not perform as well as a regular carb, otherwise I'm sure people on this site would be switching them.

You can also use a snorkel carb on a non snorkel saw if you plug the snorkel.

MasterMech

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think most of the Intellicarb saws had HD-2 filters, which I think are about the best in the industry. But the manufacturer can not make someone clean their filter on a timely basis. FYI, the air that goes into the snorkel comes through the same filter.

Yes, the intellicarb has the snorkel, but will work with the snorkel removed (if you have the right size plate). I've never heard anyone complain that a Intellicarb does not perform as well as a regular carb, otherwise I'm sure people on this site would be switching them.

You can also use a snorkel carb on a non snorkel saw if you plug the snorkel.
Everything from the MS180 on up was "Intellicarb" equipped. Everything from felt filters to the HD2s. It was nearly universal in the line-up. It neither helps nor hurts performance but has some benefits in keeping the air/fuel ratio correct as the filter clogs rather than running an overly rich mixture until the operator realizes something is up.

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
FYI, what Stihl calls "Intellicarb", like on the 461, is not computer controlled. The computer controlled carbs are on M-Tronic (Stihl) and Auto Tune (Husky) saws. You can not adjust them with a screw driver.
Yes the stihl - husqy create theese carbs thinking for the enviroment that we live , so is more enviromental if you buy and put a new MT-AT carb when they have problem.