High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Installing a CROSS PERFORMANCE cylinder Kit for my Stihl 084.

295 tramp

Hillbilly Saws
Local time
8:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Well it's a tragedy that your saw didn't make it to the test start.
I will tell you that your first piston and cylinder change out is on one of the most or more expensive saws to rebuild
giving the nature of hard to find parts and ones that are out there being high priced.
I'm not trying to discourage you and your pursuit to have one of the more sought after milling saws.
We have all started somewhere on fixing things and that's how we learn, but tearing into the lower end of that saw is not a novice project.
I am not insinuating anything about your mechanical skills at all. Working on these saws a person has to improvise on his tooling and methods
to be successful. If you can rebuild the saw I say take your time and take pictures and notes. A clean saw is a happy saw and you'll be able to inspect your parts.
Myself if I was unsure about rebuilding it I would get someone to build it for you. You will be well pleased when your saw runs at top performance

Last edited:

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
9:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bearings and seals won't be much. There have been great ideas floated here of what to do. My first 084 I had my local shop split and fit bearings. Nowadays I do them myself. Gotta work up to it. Major bummer this has happened but you will have to CSIC the reason for this to happen. You dont wanna have that happen again.
The little nuts that hold the carby on still there?

Last edited:

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you feel like pushing forward Chris, I can set you up with OEM piston, bearings, gasket and I bet there is somebody local who can walk you through the splitting, etc.
I never regretted learning anything....except how sausage was made :)

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First I'd like to say thank you to everyone that has offered advice and help. It's awesome to see that instead of ribbing the new guy for destroying his working saw, people have been offering to help left and right. I am going to take Mastermind up on his offer to help, b/c it would be foolish not to. While i do want to get to know my saw better, I don't want to take the chance of screwing up anything else on a saw that some parts are apparently impossible to replace without some good luck.

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it's a tragedy that your saw didn't make it to the test start.
I will tell you that your first piston and cylinder change out is on one of the most or more expensive saws to rebuild
giving the nature of hard to find parts and ones that are out there being high priced.
I'm not trying to discourage you and your pursuit to have one of the more sought after milling saws.
We have all started somewhere on fixing things and that's how we learn, but tearing into the lower end of that saw is not a novice project.
I am not insinuating anything about your mechanical skills at all. Working on these saws a person has to improvise on his tooling and methods
to be successful. If you can rebuild the saw I say take your time and take pictures and notes. A clean saw is a happy saw and you'll be able to inspect your parts.
Myself if I was unsure about rebuilding it I would get someone to build it for you. You will be well pleased when your saw runs at top performance

Yeah I have the tendency to jump into things with both feet, however the lower end gave me pause. Even though i am mechanically inclined, I am a total novice with these types of engines.
Thinking about how many Nitro engines it took me to get comfortable with working on them, and then how many more it was till i was proficient modifying them.
Finally thinking about what i would say to someone who has never worked on something this complicated before who was going to try to rebuild a rare, or chased engine.
I'd say this is probably not the engine to learn on.
Which is exactly what a lot of you guys are saying, and wholeheartedly agree.
My dad used to say
"Given enough time, any hack with a 1/2, 9/16's and 5/8 wrench can tear down a 2 bolt main, but it takes years to learn how to do it in 45 mins before a race with an owner and driver breathing down your neck, and that's something you can't pay to learn any faster. Learn to to it right, when you have the time and opportunity, but know when it's time to get out of the way and let the experts do their job. "
I believe it is time for me to get out of the way...
-Chris

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True that! Aint nothing cheap about an 084. 084 is synonymous with Boat. Bust out another thousand.

Don't even get me started on Boats...... according to my wife, I probably have the world's most expensive 1970 Procraft 1740 (17 ft bass boat)
Two happiest days in a man's life are the day he buys his boat and the day he sells it.

295 tramp

Hillbilly Saws
Local time
8:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
If you want to be proficient on building saws start with a crapsman or poulan that way if it screws up and blows your only out 10.00 bucks and your time.
MM is one of the greats on saw building and there are others out there also. You'll be in good hands Chris.

True that! Aint nothing cheap about an 084. 084 is synonymous with Boat. Bust out another thousand.
You got that right brother. I hate to say what I have spent on mine to be all OEM.