Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That tooth caught onto something and lost the fight!

Out of curiosity what brand of chain is it?

I caught this one while sharpening, unfortunately AFTER I filed the whole one side of the cutters and a good portion of the other side.
DSC07966.JPG DSC07969.JPG

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've seen the back part of cutter do it. Just never the raker.

I was thinking windsor but looked up just in case. A1 carlton

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was it Carlton .325 or 3/8?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I caught this one while sharpening, unfortunately AFTER I filed the whole one side of the cutters and a good portion of the other side.
View attachment 132524 View attachment 132525
Grind off the dead cutters. Use it for bucking large wood only. If I'd have shown you some of the "bucket chains" from bulk buys I run on long bars you would laugh out loud.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grind off the dead cutters. Use it for bucking large wood only. If I'd have shown you some of the "bucket chains" from bulk buys I run on long bars you would laugh out loud.
Just one tooth missing, but it took out the tie strap as it left the building.
I have no presets, breaker nor spinner - I'm writing that cheap loop of into scrap.

I am recently being reminded how a quality loop performs, specifically Dolmar 099/Oregon 73LGX - the difference is extreme.
That been said I realize I have tortured my PS-7900 for the last two years having her set up with these TriLink loops - it is time to grant her a quality loop again, I'm thinking .404" Oregon semi chisel! :D

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 132524 View attachment 132525

At the least the chain was pretty worn. It would hurt a lot more if it were on a new chain.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The chain appears to be a Timber Ridge chain if the logo is right.

Most times I replace the cutter with a new one from my saved cutters from doing loops from bulk. As the fellows said looks it took a good lick somehow. I know one customer here did something similar but it was an axe that it to a new chain. Most time I just see the cutters broken off.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At the least the chain was pretty worn. It would hurt a lot more if it were on a new chain.
It wouldn't have hurt much more since it's just a cheap TriLink off eBay, 13Euro/72DL loop including shipping.

I will no longer keep TriLink loops as main work loops, their stock performance is poor at best, with extensive tweaks they can perform mediocre - definitely not what I want to have on my saw permanently.
The three I still have will fall back to backup and dirty log duty.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The chain appears to be a Timber Ridge chain if the logo is right.

Most times I replace the cutter with a new one from my saved cutters from doing loops from bulk. As the fellows said looks it took a good lick somehow. I know one customer here did something similar but it was an axe that it to a new chain. Most time I just see the cutters broken off.
If You were referring to my post, that loop certainly didn't hit any foreign object.
It is the second TriLink that "broke" apart on me before it was completely worn out.
It was mounted on a fairly powerful saw (Dolmar PS-7900) which likely only contributed to the chains failure.

My best guess is that the tooth lost the fight against a oak knot.
The previously failed loop snapped noodling a large oak knot.
Coincidence?
Probably not.

I'm not even considering to fix that loop, it's remains are not worth the trouble!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really cool video. [emoji106]

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I actually had 1 come in for sharpening, that in place of one of the missing tiestraps, they had used a piece of wire. I don't think they ever tried it though. I couldn't imagine it would last long.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I also had a guy bring in a mower once for a new pull rope and handle, and when his rope had broken, he tied the remaining rope on one of those disposable plastic/razor knifes, and was using that as a pull handle. I apologized in advance, before I told him that was one of the stupidest things I had ever come across.

He just muttered, "My kid did that"..........

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I could just envision a little compression kickback, and fingers laying in the driveway!!