Inside the MS462C

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think way too much is being read into this. I don't see anything that looks heat related to me.
If you visualize the flow, I believe it will direct more charge to the underside of the piston. IMHO more likely for extra lubrication and maybe a little extra cooling. Why do you need the stuffer, bridge or whatever you want to call it? If you think about it the transfer is now flowing back to front, instead of from the intake to the side of the cylinder, maybe the piston skirt is now disrupting the flow to the underside of the piston. And maybe the charge that does get to the underside of the piston, needs to be force back down and out to the front transfer tunnel. Yes it reduces case volume too.

Just my thoughts, yes I may be totally full of *s-word, but what ever, I can't sleep.[emoji106]

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one looks like it was run with little to no air filtration

That is correct on one Brad, but I believe the other one the piston got so hot it expanded enough for the bottom of the skirt to touch the impulse line nipple. Nothing else makes sense. The line up fits this explanation.

Most of the saws both places run are 460s, and none came in during the same time period with P+C problems.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...I believe the other one the piston got so hot it expanded enough for the bottom of the skirt to touch the impulse line nipple. Nothing else makes sense. The line up fits this explanation.
Then blame it on an incorrectly installed impulse nipple. There are no signs of excessive heat.

I think it's unfair to label the 461 as having heating issues. This is exactly how false rumors and assumptions turn into internet facts.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I respect your opinion Brad, but a restricted muffler, carb limiters, and what ever trick they try to do with reversing the exhaust all increase engine heat, and they did not design and install that little saddle dohicky for nothing.

Every one that comes to me is going to get the muffler opened up, and the limiters removed. They seem to be much more dependable that way. And yes, I filed that impulse nipple down.

Better safe than sorry.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn't sound like there's a decision to be made. The 461 is one of the best 70cc class saws ever made, IMHO.

This is the first I've ever heard of heat issues in the 461. I would find that very surprising. Were they running with trimmed limiters and properly tuned carbs?

I've never heard of a heat issue with a 461 either.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I respect your opinion Brad, but a restricted muffler, carb limiters, and what ever trick they try to do with reversing the exhaust all increase engine heat, and they did not design and install that little saddle dohicky for nothing.

Every one that comes to me is going to get the muffler opened up, and the limiters removed. They seem to be much more dependable that way. And yes, I filed that impulse nipple down.

Better safe than sorry.

A 460 had a restricted muffler and carb limiters too...and obviously many other saws as well.

What's that have to do with the purpose that bridge serves ?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's zero info on the 461 having heat issues, it is basically a 460 anyway. I see nothing in it's design that leads me to believe the 461 has anymore susceptibility to heat than any other saw IMHO.

Research how it meets emissions.

porsche965

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No heat issues here with a ported 461 turning 14,400 and will still four stroke at 15,000+.

Lives with a 28" bar in hardwood up to 4' diameter or so and loves it. Just a nice running saw with lots of torque. And I wouldn't have thought this but the fuel mileage is really surprising for the production it puts out.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 461 has a lot of parts in common with a 460, but they are very different saws. Here is a quote:

"This powerful professional chain saw is the successor to the MS 460 and is ideal for users in the forestry, agricultural and arborist markets. It features a low emission stratified charge engine with delayed stratified scavenging"

That is very different than a 460, and will generate more heat.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 461 is a VG saw, I just would not choose to leave it stock ... then again, I don't leave anything stock!

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't recall seeing any pics of the saws you have repaired over the past few years.

I expected that from you lol.

I'm not a saw mechanic..and neither are you.

And I'll bet I work on 10x the chainsaws you do..lol..and I still wouldn't call myself a saw mechanic...I'm mediocre at best.

And you still didn't answer the question.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's zero info on the 461 having heat issues, it is basically a 460 anyway. I see nothing in it's design that leads me to believe the 461 has anymore susceptibility to heat than any other saw IMHO.

I'm actually drinking a beer with my stihl dealer I type this and he never heard of it either.